Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cananda s suicide assist

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

hello forum i was looking up parts of the world where patients want to die with dignity,theres a place in canada that has pro suicide assist,just curious if there was any views on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AFreeIrishman

Yeah, more and more places in the Western World are adopting this view. Euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg (the BeNeLux region) at the moment. Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, Albania, Colombia, Japan, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Vermont, New Mexico and Montana.

Personally, I agree with it. Aside from the cases where people would live a life of constant pain or anguish, I believe that each person's life is their own. I think it's terribly arrogant of people to say 'suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do'. In my opinion, they are far more selfish to believe they have the right to stop a person from ending their own life.

Life is a journey you undertake alone. People may join you from time to time, but ultimately, you begin and finish the journey by yourself. To understand the journey, you must first understand yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

When that topic comes up with friends in conversation, I often use it to test the liberal response of everyone having the right to choose their lifes path.

Some would argue that each person should be able to choose if they want to die.
    But what if you are someone who cares for their well being and life experience and think maybe they just have a warped view of their potential for a good life experience. If they were ignorant of such potential and wanted to end their lives, they could be missing out on something they would look back on later and be thankful for.

In cases where someone is terminally ill, it seems an obvious yes, if they cannot recover to a sufficient level of comfort, what is the reason to let them suffer against their will.

What about somone who is so sick of life and it's pressures, that they feel they don't want to live anymore?
    Or a person who is severely disabled?
    Should they have the right to choose if they will continue the experience or not?

Does the act of government legalizing assisted suicide, indicate a shift towards future policies that could help to control over-population? I found a site that seemed very right wing christian, showing stats indicating that the birth todeath rate was falling, with more dying than were born, in the developed countries. But that could be propaganda too....
    If health care is going private and the hostpitals are stuck for beds, this would really save a lot of money. Lets not pretend government think, reaches as far as the individual.
    What if we extend this rule later on, to those with chronic or apparently incurable depression?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

As someone suffering with long-term health issues, I don't see what right anyone has to force you to endure pain for the rest of your life. Nobody wants to die, but for many who can't afford the treatment they need or have no cure - it's the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

It's your life and if you want to end it, you should have that right without psychiatric condemnation.

It is the ultimate sovreignty over one's body and one's life.

There are a million and one reasons why one would want to end their life. Hard to make a universal assessment.

I have mixed feelings about it. I have seen the upshots of suicide, abandoned and confused children, devastated adults left to carry the mess. And I feel angry on their behalf.

At the same time, I can understand the ill, either physically or mentally wanting to end the pain and the consequences of their illness, and to want professional assistance from people who wont let them fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 anoymous33

it can be very fustrating for an individual who s already suffering knowing that nobody will assist them or even give them the option,with the strict laws etc,,it just makes you angry that you have to see your doc,talk to someone etc,,,suffer even more,when clearly you dnt want to live a life in the mental health system or take their antidepressants,,does anybody know what im trying to explain?

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I can relate to that. I have been through chronic depression and anti depressants.
    I've been at a stage where I wished I was dead, just to end it.
    And looking back now, I am glad in many ways for that experience, now that I have mostly recovered.
    On the health service and support for people suffering from these things, I think it is really lacking. So many people with illnesses are given anti depressants and I would imagine a good portion just stay on them, for lack of any other option.
    With governments making moves to assisted suicicde, I have to wonder what the reason is for.
    There is no public outcry I have heard. Certainly not louder than the Irish Water related protests.
    What if there are real moves to progress this assisted suicide to severe cases of depression? Of course in the distant future, not within the next few years.
    I might have been such a case, if I had not gotten family assistance.
    So where do you draw the line? Is there a hard line to be drawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 anoymous33

i personally know i need to take anti anxiety s meds,,because i cant fuction day to day without them,,i have panic disorder,,gad,,severve depression,ptsd,,,the meds are a crutch but i know that i ll never feel happiness,empathy, emotions etc,,now what sort of a life of any human being in my situation,,not want help from somebody that totally understands my point and if where in my shoes wud seek help from hopefully open minded people,that have a heart to let me escape the nightmare im living,,i am terminally ill,,except not in the cancer sense or physical body,my mind is terminally ill,,but the mind you cant see physically,,which means you may look alright physically to others,,but each day your terminally ill mind is still feeling the pain of a cancer or terminal ill patient,,,so i cannot understand in a humanity sense why let this suffering continue,

I had the same way of thinking when I was at my worst.
    And I wouldn't be quick to disregard it now. When there is no solution visible or concievable, that is one of the conclusions we would naturally orientate towards. As we always need reasons for things. The reason to continue becomes lost and muddled. I think it relies heavily on our perspective.
    In my case, I didn't have a shocking experience. It was a dibilitating medical condition, that is not treated or looked for by doctors.
    When I was just getting help to make a come back from physical and mental breakdown (in my early twenties, which was nearly 10 years ago now), I had only one solution offered to me. That was medication and therapy.
    The issue was actually an illness that is one of the most common and the least diagnosed.
    Some of the extreme symptoms were a near shut down of my nervous system, leaving me agoraphobic, anxious and severely depressed and tired.

If the medical community carried on as it is, by causing this same issue, while only treating the meriad of symptoms that follow, and the scenario I mentioned with allowing severely depressed individuals to use assisted suicide was implemented, they would privatize that industry and carry on the agenda of making more people sick, causing unnecessary death in the poorer areas of "civilised" countries.
    The agenda might be argued and I understand that it seems eratic and over the top for me to think this. Since it is way off topic, I would just advise to research it or message my privately for more info, or to carry on thatline of thinking.
    I'm not really allowed to talk about iton these forums and don't want the thread shut down.

Overall and from my experience mentioned above, I feel that where others see no hope, I see a problem to solve and most likely an industry not solving it, because of profit margins.

After I partly recovered physically i had to deal with the agoraphobia and anxiety, in order to be able to go outside and buy food.
    Over the years researching and testing different methods, I found that it was all about my perspective. and it was philosophy and thinking about philosophy that helped me to see I can change my perspective.
    Now I would be more likely to think that if we have an imagination, it is possible to change perspective.
    Not to forget the past and our fears, but to pull the foundations fromunderthem and use a new way of seeing things.
    It worked for me and maybe will not for others. But I do believe you have good reason to look ahead for a solution. It is the lack of support in society and culture in general which makes thee types of conditions difficult to break out from.

With the assisted suicide, it might be abused by those who are in positions of power. I would say they are already up to something financial with this move as it is.

Advertisement