Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odin on windows 8

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a very sick galaxy s4, turns on but goes black after Samsung screen, had a back up of a stock ROM from month's ago but that fails at system bit on recovery every time. So thought, since I can still get in download mode I'd download firmware and use Odin, which I did before on my old PC with a s2 and found it very easy.

Can't get Odin to work on my current PC running windows 8 professional and wonder if anyone has any ideas. Download's OK, get a Korean dialogue box, quick glimpse (miliseconds worth) of Odin then it's gone. Tried heimdall but couldn't fathom it. Have twrp recovery which I can still access, am I missing something easy or obvious to get any where with my phone. It was on CyanogenMod running 4.4.4 but had been acting up for few day's before today.

Apologies if that doesn't make sense, not 100% sure what I'm on about, which I'm 100% sure is obvious!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Think I need to get hold of windows 7 laptop from somewhere and give Odin a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for win xp/7?

AFAIK it should work on win8.

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for win xp/7?

AFAIK it should work on win8.

Yeah, tried both, no idea what the issue is, maybe it's my PC. Going to get another windows machine to try on, my laptop is Linux, and as I said Heimdall is beyond me! Only vaguely good new is I'm due an upgrade in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I've used odin with 7/8/8.1 and they all worked fine. If your recovery is still working why don't you just put a rom onto the phone and flash a rom?

I've used odin with 7/8/8.1 and they all worked fine. If your recovery is still working why don't you just put a rom onto the phone and flash a rom?

Yeah, thought that was an option but cant seem to get anywhere. Downloaded stock ROM and added it to phone, but got no further, i added one zipped and it didn't work, and unzipped and no good, neither flashed, I'm pretty sure this is user malfunction rather than phone malfunction though. Actually just got fed up with it in the end, I'll go back to it when I can be arsed.

• Advertisement

Flashed a ROM through twrp, no idea what balls I made of it last time I tried but have a fully functioning phone again. Its much better than it was on cyanogen actually, still KitKat but happy enough it

Edit:F*ck it, now it's in a bootloop and it won't let me into recovery at all, and it was all going so well! just keeps trying to start. Only saving grace for future messing is I can still get into download mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just re flash recovery and re flash the rom then

Advertisement