Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baltic birch plywood

Options
  • 28-03-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning to diy a bookshelf.
    Can you advice where I can find Baltic birch plywood for a good price in Dublin area

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Woodworkers on Mount Tallant Ave, Terenure. 18mm is about €60 for an 8'x4', they also do a 5'x5' 18mm interior (not boil proof) for about the €40 mark.

www.woodworkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

strahan timber has great ply. You can see the shoe rack I made with their ply in one of my old posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

Thanks.
    I will send an email for a quotation to both.
    I checked on internet, they both have birch plywood bb/bb quality.
    Do you think they have both the same quality or one is better than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

cargen wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I will send an email for a quotation to both.
    I checked on internet, they both have birch plywood bb/bb quality.
    Do you think they have both the same quality or one is better than the other?

If you need furniture grade plywood check the sheets first. They have a nasty habit of putting 'patches' into defects in the Birch veneer. I bought two sheets unseen and one of them has dozens of patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

recipio wrote: »
    If you need furniture grade plywood check the sheets first. They have a nasty habit of putting 'patches' into defects in the Birch veneer. I bought two sheets unseen and one of them has dozens of patches.

A guide to the grading here:

http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-products/baltic-birch/grading/

most of the sheets commonly stocked in Ireland tend to be BB/BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A guide to the grading here:

http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-products/baltic-birch/grading/

most of the sheets commonly stocked in Ireland tend to be BB/BB.

Interesting. I have over a dozen patches on both sides of 12mm ply so its more like BB/CP. There is also a run of yellowish veneer on one side. If I were doing something like a kitchen or display units the BB/B premium grade is obviously the one to go for although none of them seem to be perfect ?

Advertisement