Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up a permanent job - advice

Options
  • 28-03-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Am teaching 10 years in a school in the east of the country.Am from the west originally and am really eager to move home at this stage so will do the usual again this year of looking out for any teaching jobs which may arise.Only thing is am permanent and just after seeing that have to give 3 months notice prior to end of school year if I want to leave!!! That's ridiculous!! Teaching job vacancies are not like other work vacancies - any vacancies that do arise mainly arise in the summer.Doesnt look like redeployment will come into being in Leinster any time soon :( So sick of the job situation every year - my subjects are Irish and german and I can teach French to Junior Cert.So tired of people saying I can get a job easily with Irish - in the last 10 years I have not seen many vacancies in the West.Sorry for rant but just looking for a bit of advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Nothing personal but you are 10 years in a job, you are permanent and you are moaning about the "job situation every year". Maybe take a step back and look realistically at where you are at. Yes it might not be the exact place you what to be but you have a job. There is a list of thousands of people that would love to be you right now.

I think your issue with teaching jobs not being like other work vacancies doesn't wash either. If I worked in IT and something came up tomorrow somewhere I wanted to work I would still have to work out my notice.
    In fairness to any principal I have every worked for, and I mean for my colleagues also, that most are decent to deal with in terms of jobs if someone wanted to leave. In my experience once you didn't decide on 1st Sep. that you wanted to leave on 2nd Sep then most would be ok. If you got something early August and told them straight away any principal I have met would work with you provided they had time to find a replacement.

Redeployment is being trialed in Munster this year. They are obviously trialing it for a reason.

In reality there have been many people that have been employed in the West of Ireland with your subjects (although a combination that I have never seen before) in the last 10 years. Were you actually on the lookout constantly or just the odd check here and there? Were you being too picky with where you were looking for?

The reality is that you are very unlikely to walk into another permanent job in the West at any stage. Are you willing to take a small number of hours and build up form there or are you just looking for 22 hour jobs? Are you willing to do some subbing and wait for hours if moving home is really what you want to do?
    Out of the vacancies in the West that you did see over the last 10 years why did you not apply for them? Were they in the wrong areas or not enough hours or what? Are you happy to move just somewhere closer to home rather than to a specific location or school?

Its hard to give advice without an actual question, and without some of the detail above, but I think the redeployment situation will come in across the country fairly soon (just my opinion) so a bit of patience might help there and also I think you need to be realistic to the types of jobs that are out there right now, there are not going to be many full time jobs appearing, but with the new circular if you do get in somewhere at least you will be made CID sooner than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its 1 month's notice to leave a PWT job AFAIK, 3 months for DP or P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

magicgal wrote: »
    Am teaching 10 years in a school in the east of the country.Am from the west originally and am really eager to move home at this stage so will do the usual again this year of looking out for any teaching jobs which may arise.Only thing is am permanent and just after seeing that have to give 3 months notice prior to end of school year if I want to leave!!! That's ridiculous!! Teaching job vacancies are not like other work vacancies - any vacancies that do arise mainly arise in the summer.Doesnt look like redeployment will come into being in Leinster any time soon :( So sick of the job situation every year - my subjects are Irish and german and I can teach French to Junior Cert.So tired of people saying I can get a job easily with Irish - in the last 10 years I have not seen many vacancies in the West.Sorry for rant but just looking for a bit of advice

Presumably you've spoken with your principal about your redeployment options. I know of somebody in a similar position to yourself; she talked with the principal in the place in the West where she was from, decided to give up her permanent post in the east and moved home to do as much subbing as she could get and hope (I don't know how she has got on). If I were not weighed down by financial commitments, I would be inclined to do the same and perhaps mix it with something else - e.g. translation work and teaching. Alternatively, make an enquiry with your union to see if there's going to be any development in the redeployment situation.

Just thinking aloud here, but could you get involved in any campaign to establish a gaelcholáiste in the area where you want to go? In other words, start creating your own job. I got a couple of job offers (none permanent) by virtue of being active in the community in things connected with one of my subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

magicgal wrote: »

I'm in a west of Ireland school and we have hired for both Irish and German in the last 10 years, one as recently as 3 years ago. Incidentally we have had an Irish retirement in the last few weeks, only gave a month's notice. West of Ireland is also a big place. Realistically are you saying west but really mean one particular county? There's a long distance between say south Galway and north Leitrim.

Advertisement