Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAC vs. Coolmine vs. Westmanstown

Options
  • 28-03-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I went to Coolmine for my first time yesterday lunchtime and found the lack of ropes/lanes a pain. It was a bit too laid back for me but could see that it would be good for beginners.

I was a bit disappointed. I'm only new to the area and Coolmine is the closest pool and cheapest but I didn't like it that much. Have to reconsider the NAC and Westmanstown.

What do people make of Westmanstown for swimming? And overall, best choice between the three pools?

I'm a slow to medium lane swimmer. Like to do 1 to 1.5km per session.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SlowInWater

Try Coolmine in mornings. Open at 7am mon, wed, fri for lengths swimming with lane ropes. Normally quiet, especially when club finish at 7.15.

NAC opens at 6am, is more expensive, but will often only have 4 lanes open to public. These are marked slow, medium and fast, but this is usually ignored by people and lifeguards wont do anything about it. Also get group of triathletes getting in to the lanes and getting in everyones way.

Don't know about other pools in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I would second the idea of trying Coolmine in the mornings. I use it when I'm at home visiting the folks, and it's always been quiet. Once or twice though the staff have taken the lane ropes out once the club has finished. The nice thing is that you have from 7-8.30, whereas most Coolmine sessions only last for 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭danceswithwolf

Is there a quiet time during the day at the NAC?

Im really just building up as a swimmer, can't do a lot of lengths without pausing and don't want to get in anyones way...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Is there a quiet time during the day at the NAC?

Im really just building up as a swimmer, can't do a lot of lengths without pausing and don't want to get in anyones way...
    Mid mornings week days during term time. It's less than a fiver and at the 25 meter setting

Freddio wrote: »
    Mid mornings week days during term time. It's less than a fiver and at the 25 meter setting

Thanks was going to try tomorrow afternoon but I forgot about mid-term! Might give it a miss.

Is UCD generally crazy or does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Cheers folks, I'll give Coolmine mornings a shot, hopefully works out.

Dances - UCD is members only I'm pretty sure. Super facility and great water quality. Very expensive membership.

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Cheers folks, I'll give Coolmine mornings a shot, hopefully works out.

Dances - UCD is members only I'm pretty sure. Super facility and great water quality. Very expensive membership.

Ah ok am a UCD student so thought I might be able to sneak in.

Ah ok am a UCD student so thought I might be able to sneak in.

Give it a shot sure. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Coolmine is my regular pool and I am in during the 1pm swim. The 4pm swim is also known to be quiet.There are no lanes but in general particularly during school breaks its very quiet and have never had an issue.

It is a laid back pool but the staff are incredibly helpful and will generally go out of the way to give advice if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

UCD is only €4 a swim for students or €99 for a year. Even when there are club swimmers ans lessons on there are always at least 3 lanes for swimming. Most people are reasonably good at obeying the slow/medium/fast designation. Plus with 50m lanes you can fit a 4-5 people in failry easily without getting in each other's way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I go to NAC from 1-2pm & I nearly always have a lane to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I would go to the NAC if it wasnt so stupidly priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

biomed32 wrote: »
    I would go to the NAC if it wasnt so stupidly priced!

Certainly an issue, but my main problem with the NAC is that there is so much time where there is either limited or no availability for the ordinary swimmer due to Gala's, competitions, water polo, swim Ireland/other training groups, lessons, scuba, whatever..
    Total pain if you've gone up and not checked what is going on that weekend.

there is so much time where there is either limited or no availability for the ordinary swimmer due to Gala's, competitions, water polo, swim Ireland/other training groups, lessons, scuba, whatever..
    Total pain if you've gone up and not checked what is going on that weekend.

I bit the bullet and went with the NAC. Would agree with you fully. Another smaller irk is the pool format is rarely at 50m apart from early mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Late at night at the weekend as well - it's a Godsend.

Advertisement