Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm System compliance with EN50131?

Options
  • 28-03-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have an alarm system in the house which was installed when we moved in in 2004, how do I know whether it complies with EN50131, I can find no documentation or markings on the alarm. I don't want to fall foul with the insurance company down the line. The alarm has never given us any problems and works every time we test it so it has never needed any maintenance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thread moved.

kig wrote: »
    I have an alarm system in the house which was installed when we moved in in 2004, how do I know whether it complies with EN50131, I can find no documentation or markings on the alarm. I don't want to fall foul with the insurance company down the line. The alarm has never given us any problems and works every time we test it so it has never needed any maintenance.

Most likely the insurance company will insist on the following (could be in the small print):

1) Alarm installed by PSA registered installer.
    2) Maintenance / service contact in place with a PSA installer.
    3) In the event on an incident the policy insurance will be void unless the alarm was armed (yes they can check).

My recommendation would be to tell the insurance company that you do not wish to avail of their small discount as it is not worth the risk that you will forget to arm the alarm. Besides to complying with EN50131 is not very difficult as the bar is set quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Thanks, I don't know whether it was installed by a PSA installer, and I don't see any reason to have a contract for maintenance as it has never malfunctioned so maybe your advice to forget about the discount is probably the easiest option for now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks, I don't know whether it was installed by a PSA installer, and I don't see any reason to have a contract for maintenance as it has never malfunctioned so maybe your advice to forget about the discount is probably the easiest option for now.

I hear you, but you may find that the lack of a contract makes your home insurance is null & void!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Ok I'll check with them on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Sorry OP, are you saying that your system is now over 10 years old and has never been checked by a professional?
    Best to tell your insurers you don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Either way it does not conforrm to En50131.
    One of the requirements to maintain that standard is regular services.
    Just because an alarm is not giving you trouble is no gaurantee it is working perfectly.
    At 10 years it will most certainly need a battery replacement at the very least.
    I would recommend getting a PSA licenced installer to check it out rather than wait for a burglar to test it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

It more than likely did comply with EN50131 when installed in 2004. To comply with this standard the system needs to be tested every year. My advice would be to have it serviced and put the system down as a working alarm on your insurance policy. When you pick EN50131 then it needs to be serviced once per year. A working alarm just need to be a working alarm.

Advertisement