Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobility

Options
  • 27-03-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend someone or something for working on mobility / stability / flexibility for a 39yr old lifter who is stiff as a board after 20+ years of lifting and various injuries / niggles that result from this (lower back / shoulder / knee)?

As i approach 40 I want to get in the best shape of my life and feel that building a solid foundation of the above would be more beneficial in the long term than another cycle of Wendler 5/3/1.

I am also training for Hell & Back in June so short term goal is conditioning along with the above with a view to going back to basics on the DL, Squat, Bench and Press by running something like SL5X5 after the summer.

Have started a programme of foam rolling, stretches and b/w work but need some guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend someone or something for working on mobility / stability / flexibility for a 39yr old lifter who is stiff as a board after 20+ years of lifting and various injuries / niggles that result from this (lower back / shoulder / knee)?

As i approach 40 I want to get in the best shape of my life and feel that building a solid foundation of the above would be more beneficial in the long term than another cycle of Wendler 5/3/1.

I am also training for Hell & Back in June so short term goal is conditioning along with the above with a view to going back to basics on the DL, Squat, Bench and Press by running something like SL5X5 after the summer.

Have started a programme of foam rolling, stretches and b/w work but need some guidance.

Give Andy at alwaysmove.com a shout.

http://www.alwaysmove.com/#home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

http://www.mobilitywod.com/episodes/

Use the filter buttons to search through the videos , or else go to the Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit/videos

I have his Supple Leopard Book , Its a great Resource

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ant11 wrote: »
    Give Andy at alwaysmove.com a shout.

http://www.alwaysmove.com/#home

+1

And Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 is a good starting point for at home stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Cheers guys, I have Supple Leopard and have run Agile 8 and Limber 11 previously. I must have a re-read of Leopard and another look at the youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

I swear by De Francos agile 8. Takes only ten minutes to do and you feel great after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Plenty of good advice here so all I'll say is to make sure to give enough time for mobility work and don't just tag a few minutes of it onto the end of a workout. Makes a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I have Supple Leopard and have run Agile 8 and Limber 11 previously. I must have a re-read of Leopard and another look at the youtube videos.

You don't "run" Agile 8 or Limber 11 like a training program. It's movement prep you are supposed to do all the time.
    At this point mobility issues aren't going to be something you fix with a few weeks of stretching. It'll need to be an ongoing thing in tandem with any other training.

Atm, I do 4-6 mobility "sessions" per week, in addition to any other training I do. My mobility is probably the best its been in my adult lift, but its not the best it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Some great advice here. I just started back training in the gym and wanted to squat, deadlift and bench properly. The PT said to me "man we need to work on your mobility before we contemplate doing squats , etc"
    I had my 1st mobility session yesterday and it was like fcuking hell (in a good way).
    He recommended for me to work on it at home and buy the following

* rumble roller to work on some self myofascial release
    * resistance bands
    * body bar or brush handle

Any other recommendations ?

You'll get a good foller from FoamRollersByDesign (they're on Facebook) for less than a rumble roller and they're excellent pieces of kit.

Get a hard ball as well for going deeper into glutes etc. You'll get a good solid rubber ball in a pet shop (dogs play with 'em) or you can use a sliotar or sometrhing along those lines.

You'll get a good foller from FoamRollersByDesign (they're on Facebook) for less than a rumble roller and they're excellent pieces of kit.

Get a hard ball as well for going deeper into glutes etc. You'll get a good solid rubber ball in a pet shop (dogs play with 'em) or you can use a sliotar or sometrhing along those lines.

I was recommended a rumble roller as opposed to foam roller. What about those lacrosse balls

http://www.rogueeurope.eu/rogue-lacrosse-balls-eu

• Advertisement

I was recommended a rumble roller as opposed to foam roller. What about those lacrosse balls

http://www.rogueeurope.eu/rogue-lacrosse-balls-eu

Why were you recommended a rumble roller over a foam roller, out of interest?

FWIW, a good solid foam roller and ball will do the same as the rumble roller is supposed to do except a bit better (because you can target it a bit better using a ball than you can with the bumps on the rumble roller). I also don't think any of the rumble rollers I've seen will stand the test of time with repeated regular use. But that's just my opinion.

Lacrosse balls are the same idea as the other balls I mentioned. They were just cheaper versions. I have a lacrosse ball myself I got from D8 fitness.

FWIW, a good solid foam roller and ball will do the same as the rumble roller is supposed to do except a bit better (because you can target it a bit better using a ball than you can with the bumps on the rumble roller). I also don't think any of the rumble rollers I've seen will stand the test of time with repeated regular use. But that's just my opinion.

Lacrosse balls are the same idea as the other balls I mentioned. They were just cheaper versions. I have a lacrosse ball myself I got from D8 fitness.

He just told me that because of my bad mobility etc a rumble roller will work harder on the myofascial release
    I'll pick up those balls from D8 fitness

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FWIW, a good solid foam roller and ball will do the same as the rumble roller is supposed to do except a bit better (because you can target it a bit better using a ball than you can with the bumps on the rumble roller).

I think by foam roller they were referring to the blue soft ones only, and not including the tougher grid roller, by design rollers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,126 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Biggest recommendation is a little every day. If you're consistent with mobility work on your hips and ankles the progress you can make in six months is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Biggest recommendation is a little every day. If you're consistent with mobility work on your hips and ankles the progress you can make in six months is astonishing.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry for resurrecting a thread from last year but Mobility is something I myself have been working on and I think its probably the most important part of it all. Supple leopard is great and Ive used a lot of the exercises Kelly Starret recommends, especially for my shoulders. The difference a couple of months of work on shoulder mobility has made is massive. The things I can do now that I couldnt do before, like a proper handstand and backbend. Its got to the stage where all I do now is mobility coupled with body weight movements, like handstands, cartwheels, backbends, german hangs, pull ups etc. Im even working on the human flag at the moment which I never thought Id even attempt. I think the more mobility you have the freer your body feels and thats an amazing thing to experience, especially if you had previously been all bound up and had restricted movement. I started an adult gymnastics class aswell and thats just pure joy and fun, its almost inconsequential that you develop great strength, agility and mobility while you're at it. I think mobility is the greatest investment you'll make in your future health. Imagine being 70 years old and supple and agile, as opposed to bound up, limping and maybe even hobbling along with a cane.
    Id really recommend yoga aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

The best things that work for me is walking and limber 11. I’ve a 20 min walk to work and another 20 min walk home. Then I warm up and do the limber 11 before my work out 3 times a week. I sit in an office every day for work and used to get back pains. This is now gone thanks to the limber 11.

Advertisement