Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AppleBys Discount

Options
  • 27-03-2015 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All

I have tried to find this previously posted here, but cannot find any specifics.

Got engaged, over the moon. We were hoping to go into Voltaire this weekend but he is booked out! We are going to do some research this weekend anyway and plan to head into Applebys.

I heard that Applebys offer a decent discount for civil service. I know this was true 10 years ago.

Is this still the case?
    If so, what is the discount?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not sure why they'd give a discount based upon the service type?

Always ask for a discount anyway.
    If you don't ask, you don't get!

And be sure to shop around! It'd be worth getting an appointment with Voltaire if possible.
    I found them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

The service in Applebys was fantastic, really made us feel like the most important people in the world. They are just so much more expensive than the other Jewellers though. I had made an appointment for Voltaire for the day after I proposed but my Fiance really wanted her ring on the day if possible so we never went. We ended up buying in John Breretons. Really lovely to deal with.

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Many thanks for the recommendation whiskeyman.

Fox65, we would be delighted to meet with you, apologies that we cannot meet this Saturday, as you can imagine Saturday is one of our busiest days.

We have a wide selection of rings ready and available on the day you visit us. If you have a very specific design in mind we can easily handmake the style.

Please visit our Youtube channel where you will see lots of styles in our collection:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds

We look forward to hearing from you
    Séamus

http://www.voltairediamonds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

Thanks everyone for the replies.

To Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus. Thank you for the reply. We actually have an appointment made for Tuesday morning, the earliest available!. We are really looking forward to it. We have already been on your YouTube channel. We spent yesterday evening going through your youtube playlists and have our excited notes. So many wonderful designs. The videos are brilliant, really gives you a feeling for the rings. It is a pity about Saturday, understandable being the busiest day. You have been recommended by so many of our friends, only wish I booked sooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We picked up my wedding ring a couple of weeks ago in Applebys.

We went to Weirs first and the sales person was beyond useless, literally stood there and said nothing.

The woman we dealt with in Applebys was fantastic and gave a 10% discount when I asked could she do any better.

Id highly recommend them (although I have no idea about their engagement rings)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

We went to Weirs first and the sales person was beyond useless, literally stood there and said nothing.

I have to agree with this. I thought Weirs was the grand jewellers in Dublin with the big shop front etc. Walked in and stood there while staff chatted , turned then just walked straight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BKWDR wrote: »
    Walked in and stood there while staff chatted , turned then just walked straight out.

I had that experience too!
    I'm about to blow serious hard earned cash, and if you don't even acknowledge me as I walk in the door, I'm taking my business elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm the opposite. We got my ring in Weirs and had a terrible experience in Applebys. Wouldn't recommend them at all. We've bought other pieces in weirs since and always had a good experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

We got my engagement ring in Appleby's, got a discount off the list price, and a further 15% off both our wedding rings. Lovely service and I've recommended them to other people without hesitation. I pop in there when I'm on Grafton Street and I have a few minutes to spare to get my rings cleaned on the spot :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BKWDR wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. I thought Weirs was the grand jewellers in Dublin with the big shop front etc. Walked in and stood there while staff chatted , turned then just walked straight out.

I had the same experience in the Grafton st store. We gave them our budget, and they came out with one tray of rings which were way over our budget, and then one that was way under. Kept bringing me loads of solitaires to try, despite me saying that I wanted 3 stone or similar.

Conversely, I've been to the one in Dundrum loads of times and the service has always been fantastic; very knowledgeable and helpful staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

1000% recommend Voltiare. Seamus and his team (in particular Sabrina) were very helpful in helping my fiancée and I choose the diamond and style of ring which we got made in the end. Very professional service all round, really impressive, and great value in the end compared to the Grafton Street prices. Will be definitely back to them when we are picking out our wedding rings. (I know that sounds like an ad for them, but I don't work for them, promise!!)

We went to see Voltaire after shopping around, although Applebys were nice and did mention a discount due to my profession. I didn't think much of Weirs, the sales assistant we spoke with didn't seem to be bothered with us, myself and my fiancée were very disappointed with their service when we left the shop on Grafton St.

Advertisement