Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend a solution for me?

Options
  • 27-03-2015 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all .. Sorry, I'm not very "with it" when it comes to all this.. I'm getting rid of Sky subscription. I have Sky dish, box, cabling etc. in place, I also have terrestrial aerial & Saorview enabled smart tv working.
    I would like some recommendations re. best sub-free set-up going forward. I like series-link, pause, rewind & record so would like to keep that and also 7 day EPG. I can get RTE player, Netflix etc from Smart TV.
    I would really appreciate a recommendation on a box, I don't mind going for something a bit techie if it's the best option as I like the challenge and willing to work for the best solution.
    Sorry if it's a really basic question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd start looking for a Freesat recorder.
    Your cables will plug straight into it, and you'll be up and running in minutes.

I own a Humax Foxsat for nearly 5yrs after cancelling Sky and more than happy. Very reliable box.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd start looking for a Freesat recorder.
    Your cables will plug straight into it, and you'll be up and running in minutes.

I own a Humax Foxsat for nearly 5yrs after cancelling Sky and more than happy. Very reliable box.

Thanks very much for your reply Niman ! I have seen "Linux boxes" e.g. Optimuss Edision .. Are these Freesat boxes? if so, are they a good option?
    What is the difference between the Humax Foxsat & the Linux? .. Again sorry for the complete Noob questions !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FreeSat is branded software used in some boxes. The main advantages of FreeSat is you get 7day EPG, automatic retuning should it be needed, digital text and "Red Button" functions. They are also "plug and play" setup. Only some offer recording facilities. FreeSat channels are fixed in order based on a UK postcode you enter on set up. They DO NOT have the Irish channels.
    Linux based boxes generally need a bit of work to set up but offer many more functions once running. They also offer the choice of combining terrestrial (Saorview) into the same channel list, which can be arranged in any order you like. There is plenty of support available here to help set up Linux boxes including other peoples backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

FreeSat is branded software used in some boxes. The main advantages of FreeSat is you get 7day EPG, automatic retuning should it be needed, digital text and "Red Button" functions. They are also "plug and play" setup. Only some offer recording facilities. FreeSat channels are fixed in order based on a UK postcode you enter on set up. They DO NOT have the Irish channels.
    Linux based boxes generally need a bit of work to set up but offer many more functions once running. They also offer the choice of combining terrestrial (Saorview) into the same channel list, which can be arranged in any order you like. There is plenty of support available here to help set up Linux boxes including other peoples backups.

Thanks Gerry ! Are all the above Freesat functions - 7 Day EPG, Red Button, Text etc also available on the Linux option?
    I like the option of including Irish Channels on EPG ( I assume the current terrestrial aerial plugs into the box? )
    Is series link recording functionality available on Linux?
    I don't mind doing a bit of work to set up could be a bit of a project ! .. I assume by "work" you mean on the software rather than hardware or wiring ?
    I might go down the Linux route then depending on answers to the above !

Thanks again for all your help !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Are all the above Freesat functions - 7 Day EPG, Red Button, Text etc also available on the Linux option?
    Linus boxes have 7 day EPG for all channels. AFAIK 'Red button' these days is really only one channel which can be tuned in manually. They do not do digital text but again few channels use it these days.

I like the option of including Irish Channels on EPG ( I assume the current terrestrial aerial plugs into the box? )

Correct you connect your existing satellite and terrestrial cables to the new box.

Is series link recording functionality available on Linux?

Linux boxes let you install numerous plugins (apps) including one which lets you set up the equivalent of series linking. You can set it to record by title or keywords etc etc

I don't mind doing a bit of work to set up could be a bit of a project ! .. I assume by "work" you mean on the software rather than hardware or wiring ?

Yes. Just like a PC there are many plugins you can configure to add extra functions. E.G. Web streaming. You can also stream live TV or recordings to and from the box to other PCs on your home network. These have a bit of a learning curve but are well worth the effort.

WARNING: playing with these boxes is highly addictive:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

As Gerry said, most of the linux boxes can be set up to give you the functionality that you require and a lot besides, I ditched sky and moved to one a few weeks ago.

There are several different boxes available at different price points so plenty of choice.

They do throw up the occasional glitch which, I think, is as much to do with people, myself included, playing around with them and trying different images and settings and can mean the loss of tv for a while until you get it up and running again. There are always helpful people here and elsewhere willing to point you in the right direction if you are stuck. A bit of technical know how doesn't go amiss either.

I am glad that I switched and don't have a bill every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who owns a Freesat branded box and one of those Dreamboxes, the ease of use between them is night and day.

Freesat box does everything itself, whereas I have to call the brother in anytime anything goes astray with the Dreambox.

Other than that I'll say nothing, as it might be against the rules on this site to chat highly of Dreamboxes and the like.

Advertisement