Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effect of Postgrad qualification on employment

Options
  • 26-03-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm currently in a chemistry based research program, and coming up to a point when I will have the option to write up a master's thesis, or continue on another few years to finish with a PhD. I've come to realise through working that I've little to no interest in continuing the academic research route after a PhD level i.e. I do not want to be a postdoc/eventual principal investigator. Instead, I really enjoy the teaching aspect, and am pretty good at it. While I think I'd quite enjoy teaching at third level, in most cases for chemistry this requires maintaining a research portfolio I believe, and I just don't think I'd be up for it.

So, my question is this: has anybody found that having a Masters/PhD has improved their "employability" in secondary schools, and if so, has a PhD helped more than a masters, or is it much of a muchness?

(Alternatively, if anyone knows if it's possible to teach and lecture at third level without having to publish regularly/at all, I'd love to know more)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GavinC19

just realised I tagged this as information thinking it meant asking for, rather than giving information >.> apologies!

Fixed it :Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Naoko

I don't think people in general realise how many teachers have master's degrees. In recent years it's been a prerequisite to get to the interview stage for some jobs. In saying that, I'm not sure continuing until you have a PhD would have a huge impact on employability. A master's in your teaching subject plus a postgrad in something education-related (in addition to the PME) might serve you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

If you can complete the PhD in two additional years (on top of the one-year masters) I would do it. It is hard to discipline yourself but I know somebody well who wrote their PhD in 18 months because it was sink or swim time. If it will take you more than 2 years, I'd be wary about doing it. It will give you the edge in interviews against somebody where everything else is equal. But having additional TC-recognised subjects to teach would give you more of an edge.

Getting a doctorate for a career in teaching is generally not practical, but it is an absolute honour to be able to do one and surviving the isolation and dark days of it (most people do not complete it) will be something you can be quietly proud of for the rest of your life.

Naoko wrote: »
    A master's in your teaching subject plus a postgrad in something education-related (in addition to the PME) might serve you better.

What do you mean by another post grad in something education related? Clearly I haven't researched this as much as I thought I had. My side plan was to do the PGDE in Scotland as a research wage in Dublin doesn't exactly leave a lot of room to save for the €10k PME, so I hadn't factored in needing another post grad in addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

GavinC19 wrote: »
    What do you mean by another post grad in something education related? Clearly I haven't researched this as much as I thought I had. My side plan was to do the PGDE in Scotland as a research wage in Dublin doesn't exactly leave a lot of room to save for the €10k PME, so I hadn't factored in needing another post grad in addition.

Getting registered in Ireland is changing so make sure you will be employable in Ireland if you do the Scottish course after 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

E.g. A post grad in Special Educational Needs or a Masters in Educational Management would probably be far more useful to you that a PhD in Chemistry when it comes to getting a teaching job, because realistically they'd have more use on an everyday basis.

You should also consider that teaching at second level is a very different kettle of fish to teaching at third level. Third level students choose to be in college, and choose their courses. Second level do not. Being good at discipline and crowd control is as important (if not more important) that having a rake of qualifications in your subject area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

(Alternatively, if anyone knows if it's possible to teach and lecture at third level without having to publish regularly/at all, I'd love to know more)

Lecturer in an IoT.

An IT lecturing position would require a PhD correct? Or would an M.Sc. suffice in some cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

An IT lecturing position would require a PhD correct? Or would an M.Sc. suffice in some cases?

Up until recently, no.

However, I have seen some evidence that IoT may now be requiring, or favouring, candidates with Ph.D.s.

Advertisement