Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewfest vs. Franciscan Well

Options
  • 26-03-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have seen Brewfest advertised around cork recently, it is being run at the same time as the Franciscan Well Easter beer fest,
    The Brewfest event is €14 to get in and only includes 1 drink, the Franciscan well is free, Brewfest still promises a big list of Brewers,
    Does anyone know will this split up the brewers involved in the Franciscan well?
    And why are people paying €14 to get into an event that sounds like a copy of an event down the road that is free?

Brewfest seems to be run by the same crowd that organise Octoberfest Beag which is a pay in event aswell, I won't pay to sit in a tent with one choice of beer but I heard it was a disaster,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bladebrew wrote: »
    Does anyone know will this split up the brewers involved in the Franciscan well?
    AFAIK the brewers don't attend the Brewfest one, they just send beer. That said, a few of the Fran Well usuals won't be at it this year, Eight Degrees for instance. More room for new breweries, I guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm just going to check out both events. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I don't see the reason why anyone would pay to get into something that is going to be more or less same and free just down the road in the Well. It also seems a bit stupid to set up a new beer festival on the Easter weekend given that Easterfest in the Fran Well is a long established tradition in the city at this stage. Surely it would have made more sense to pick the May/June/August bank holiday weekend to run this event, so they are not competing with any other craft beer events.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That said, a few of the Fran Well usuals won't be at it this year, Eight Degrees for instance. More room for new breweries, I guess.

Eight Degrees won't be in Easterfest in the Well!? Will they be sending a few kegs over and have someone man their stand or will we be totally Eight Degrees free?

Totally Eight-Degrees-free, I believe. Fran Well doesn't do sending kegs and somebody else serving them.

I suspect this may be the last Easter Festival as we know it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Totally Eight-Degrees-free, I believe. Fran Well doesn't do sending kegs and somebody else serving them.

I suspect this may be the last Easter Festival as we know it.

Damn, I was hoping they would have enigma at the well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It also seems a bit stupid to set up a new beer festival on the Easter weekend given that Easterfest in the Fran Well is a long established tradition in the city at this stage.

There's a thought floating around that a large brewery conglomerate is trying to ruin the Franciscan Well festival.

Now, you could say that Franciscan Well is owned by another massive conglomerate but it's different. Easterfest isn't being run by the brewery, it's run by the pub which is still independently owned by Shane Long as far as I know. The festival exists for one purpose. To give new breweries a platform to launch. Breweries aren't charged to be there. Just a small share of the profits to offset the loss of business to the pub itself.

Others have said that this big brewery are not involved in the rival event at all and as far as I can see, they probably aren't.

Either way, I know which one I will be going to. The same one I have gone to every year for the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I am a bit mystified by the whole thing, there are people commenting on Facebook, saying this is going to be great etc, I feel like telling them about the Franciscan well, I assume they don't know,
    It is the kind of thing that might be ok in Dublin, but Cork is so small, the venues are a maybe a 10 minute walk from each other,
    I'm not sure where the 14 euro is going, they have a list of crap on the website which makes it sound like a kids birthday party, a beer festival is about the beer,

As long as the people who normally go to the real EasterFest head to the Franciscan Well, it will be grand. It always gets great numbers, especially on Saturday evening and likely Sunday evening too since it's a bank holiday.

I plan to be there on Saturday and Sunday myself.

What will be interesting is next year because EasterFest is going to be expanding to a larger venue. There could be two large beer festivals in Cork next Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chieftain ipa

Yes it is true that Eight degrees will not be attending my festival this year. We were saddened to hear this but understand where they are coming from .
    Our festival has always been about giving a level playing field to every brewery both old and new . As there are so many breweries now we had to limit the amount of taps per brewery to 3 so we could fit in as many as possible . The lads at eight degrees felt 3 was not enough as they have such a wide range in their portfolio .
    We have been running this festival for the last 15 years and proud to say many breweries poured their first commercial pints at it such as Trouble , Metalman , 9 white deer and this year is no exception with the wonderful Killarney brewing company
    Our festival is different to some others in that the owners/Brewers from 16 of Ireland's top breweries will be manning their own bars on hand to tell their story and answer any questions
    We are not trying to compete in a volume of beer consumed this is all about the industry as a whole and trying to raise awareness of local breweries .

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i was at the octoberfest thing in beamish last october. very theme pub / forced craic type thing its really a pure money making venture . will be giving this version a miss also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I like the image from the Eventbrite page.

corkbrewfestsamples.jpg
    That's some range of.....eh, Lagers.....oh and a Smithwicks for the aul fellas! :)

The Franciscan Well beer list is now online UCC have done a 100% quinoa beer, the loons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Quinoa is mostly protein though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's not though. It's made up of 4 times more carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Wilki suggests per 100g (all values are for non malted grain)

Quinoa: Total carb 64g Protein 14g and Fat 6.0g
    Barley: Total carb 74g Protein 12g and Fat 2.3g
    Wheat: Total carb 71g Protein 14g and Fat 2.5g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Well no it's not but it does have a rather high fat content which could cause problems, it's not a grain so it's carbs won't mash to fermentable sugars in the same way grains would so they'd need to have been playing around with temps to get it to work.

The main problem with quinoa though is the price, it's ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Well no it's not but it does have a rather high fat content which could cause problems, it's not a grain so it's carbs won't mash to fermentable sugars in the same way grains would so they'd need to have been playing around with temps to get it to work.

The main problem with quinoa though is the price, it's ridiculously expensive.

malted quinoa is available, but recombinant enzyme could be used with unmalted grain as long as it's gelatinizated

oats have more lipids and you can brew an all oatmeal beer.

I would be interesting to know if they brought in the malted quinoa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Many people heading along to the Fran Well then? I have a delightful 7-8 hours travelling from Derry to look forward to tomorrow for it...

irish_goat wrote: »
    Many people heading along to the Fran Well then? I have a delightful 7-8 hours travelling from Derry to look forward to tomorrow for it...

Seems like a great way to spend good Friday. Sure what else would you be doing? ;)

Saruman wrote: »
    Seems like a great way to spend good Friday. Sure what else would you be doing? ;)

Least I'll be able to drink on the train. :pac:

• Advertisement

Silver linings and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I heard that all pints ar brewfest are €6 - except Hi Viz which is €12!

€6 Beamish anyone??

Jaysus, pay to get in and overpriced drinks?
    At least at other beer festivals that charge, the beer is usually cheaper than average.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Least I'll be able to drink on the train. :pac:

Are you training it the whole way from Derry??? Quite the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

They didn't post a menu at all, there are loads of pictures on Facebook, people drinking pints of Murphys after paying €14 to walk in the door?

dregin wrote: »
    Are you training it the whole way from Derry??? Quite the trip!

Except between Dublin and Portlaois as there are line works so a bus transfer is in place. That will suck for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

bladebrew wrote: »
    They didn't post a menu at all, there are loads of pictures on Facebook, people drinking pints of Murphys after paying €14 to walk in the door?

Talking to someone who was there seems as nobody was buying Murphy's they started giving out some for free.
    Big crowd there.

Saruman wrote: »
    Except between Dublin and Portlaois as there are line works so a bus transfer is in place. That will suck for him.

I've hitched a lift with a minibus full of Derry fans. Enjoying an Armagh Cider as we speak. :D

I've hitched a lift with a minibus full of Derry fans. Enjoying an Armagh Cider as we speak. :D

Score

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

You're not able to get your hands on Farmaggedon stuff, by any chance??

Advertisement