Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can lights fade a watch face?

Options
  • 26-03-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I seen a lovely Seiko watch today that was reduced in price but it was a display model with a light shining directly onto it. I was thinking the light may fade a watch face over time? It had a black chronograph face. Lady said it wasn't in there long but I dunno if she was just saying that. What would the opinion be of a watch getting faded with artificial light?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Umbongo uk

I seen a lovely Seiko watch today that was reduced in price but it was a display model with a light shining directly onto it. I was thinking the light may fade a watch face over time? It had a black chronograph face. Lady said it wasn't in there long but I dunno if she was just saying that. What would the opinion be of a watch getting faded with artificial light?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry. The watches in jewellers displays spend a fair bit of time under some pretty fierce lighting - to make them look all shiny and desirable - and ive never heard of it doing them any harm whatsoever.

My advice to you would be to concentrate on looking for dings and scratches on the watch rather than fading - very slight marks are easily touched-up but, if you negotiate keenly, can sometimes lead to even greater discount...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What Umbongo said. Yes, over decades direct sunlight can have an effect alright(1970's blue a particular casualty*). Display lights wouldn't come with an asses roar of that though. Buy with confidence I say.

*IMHO the damp from lume, especially the tritium stuff, which sucks up water like a thirsty camel, is much more the issue with the 70's blue issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Thanks I'm gonna go for it, if its still there in the display cabinet I'll get it this afternoon :)

Advertisement