Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things in Cork are picking up..

Options
  • 26-03-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭

Seriously though, who would feel the urge to go to the papers with this story? I could think of better ways to spend €394k on watches (plural) :D

€349,000 watch sells at Cork Jeweller

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I could never see the attraction for Pateks, other than their simple Calatrava style. They're gorgeous, but the complications? Nah. Especially with diamonds. Fair play if the owner is happy and triple fair play if he has 400K to drop on a watch, but my god the serious pieces and many of them you could source with that sorta cash. Including vintage Pateks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

I was on the phone to them in cork yesterday asking about service prices lol. Surprised they didn't tell me feck off.

Like most of the super complications. It doesn't look nice and its not wearable.

Now the IWC on TZ yesterday.......for 13K wow! Still borderline not wearable but a real looker! Same watch below.

http://cdn.thewatchgallery.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/w/iwc_iw503202_sku_463225_usp_-16005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

If I'd just bought that and found that the shop had gone to the local paper I'd be absolutely livid - I can't see the chap doorstepping Keane's to pick it up any time soon. Having said this I'd be inclined to believe that this is a foreign buyer taking advantage of the weak Euro and, given the rarity of the watch, he's probably been ringing around every Patek ADs in Europe for the last six months trying to track one down.

I saw one of these in the window of David Duggan recently and I think I'd be prepared to slum it - on rotation, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

If I'd just bought that and found that the shop had gone to the local paper I'd be absolutely livid - I can't see the chap doorstepping Keane's to pick it up any time soon. Having said this I'd be inclined to believe that this is a foreign buyer taking advantage of the weak Euro and, given the rarity of the watch, he's probably been ringing around every Patek ADs in Europe for the last six months trying to track one down.

It says:

"The collection has a loyal following worldwide and, though this Patek sale was to a fellow countryman"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

It says:

"The collection has a loyal following worldwide and, though this Patek sale was to a fellow countryman"

I know it says that - I just don't happen to necessarily believe it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

893bet wrote:
    Like most of the super complications. It doesn't look nice and its not wearable.

It's funny - I often see watches that cost 6 figures (or more), and at first glance they often look like something you'd get free with a magazine.

I presume this will live in a safe to be looked at occasionally, and that's about it. Edit: as an aside, I still really love some of the mental watches just as art pieces rather than timepieces, but normally when it's because the complications are totally out there, not because of diamond baguettes around the bezel etc.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I could never see the attraction for Pateks, other than their simple Calatrava style.

I really like the look of their Aquanaut - I think it's subtle, but a bit different. But unless money was absolutely no object (as in I could easily afford many watches that cost 10s of thousands), there's just so much more I'd rather have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Forgot about the Aquanaut. Yea that's a nice watch alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The first part of this cheesy Patek phrase is very true for me
    All I will say is you never own a Patek Philippe, you just mind it for the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

RTE news reporting the owner is from the Midlands and is rumoured to already have up to 30 Patek watches in his collection :eek:
    I know a couple of very high net worth individuals who I thought might have picked this up (mc manus, magnier et al, flatley even crossed my mind as he has a house in that neck of the woods) but can't think of anyone in the Midlands that fits the profile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Homer wrote: »
    RTE news reporting the owner is from the Midlands and is rumoured to already have up to 30 Patek watches in his collection :eek:
    I know a couple of very high net worth individuals who I thought might have picked this up (mc manus, magnier et al, flatley even crossed my mind as he has a house in that neck of the woods) but can't think of anyone in the Midlands that fits the profile!

O Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'm sorry but I personally think that that Patek looks awful there are some far nicer looking vintage Pateks available for in and around the same price. I'd also be extremely pissed off if I was the person who bought it and Keanes went straight out and told the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

O Leary

That's exactly who I thought of. Possibly sees it as an investment piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Ah!! Didn't think O Leary lived in the Midlands! Would make sense. Owner of Keanes reckons in 5-10 years with such limited production numbers it would be worth up to €1 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Eoin wrote: »
    The first part of this cheesy Patek phrase is very true for me

Don't think that phrase can be claimed by Keane, if I remember correctly it's PP phrase...think I recall seeing it on the ad on the Cara magazine on aer Lingus flights

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Don't think that phrase can be claimed by Keane, if I remember correctly it's PP phrase...think I recall seeing it on the ad on the Cara magazine on aer Lingus flights

Ya its definitely a Patek phrase I've seen it in a few of their ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

A number of people on this forum have stated that they think the pp is horrible compared to 'X' but I think it's important to remember that 1) looks are often not the only consideration for buying a watch. And 2) tastes differ.

I don't know who bought this watch. I'm guessing that the watch is being bought as an investment piece or gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

Eoin wrote: »
    . Edit: as an aside, I still really love some of the mental watches just as art pieces rather than timepieces, but normally when it's because the complications are totally out there

You have prob seen this before but its just class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J0rJTZfHmQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-fNmlP4kw

A cool way to drop 500K

They're great - and I love the even weirder stuff like the bird chime repeater, the poker watch and the crazy MB&F stuff.

Totally unwearable, but amazing mechanical stuff going on there.

I just don't really get the pieces encrusted with precious stones. I'm sure there's still a lot of workmanship that goes into each diamond and all that, but I think it's an unnecessary distraction and embellishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 RUK

Thats a great watch for a collector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Fella I know is over in Dubai at moment. Tried on this watch. Only 300k :pac:

Dubai eh? Not such a shock. The blingiest nation on earth. :)

I dunno, for me the PP complications and other marques at this end of the market are a completely different world to general watch collecting. Even within PP. An elegant Calatrava is a very wearable piece and beautifully made, but the rhinestone cowboy stuff with the time on mars chimed by David Bowie made from pure unobtanium is something else entirely. Even if I was a billionaire I really couldn't see me going for this kind of pieces. I find them very "cheesy" for the real want of a better word. Elegance bypassed. Kinda like a gold plated stretch limo with a jacuzzi in the back. A tad too "Elvis" for me If all watches were 500 quid I still wouldn't TBH. I'm just not within their market.

Dubai eh? Not such a shock. The blingiest nation on earth. :)

I dunno, for me the PP complications and other marques at this end of the market are a completely different world to general watch collecting. Even within PP. An elegant Calatrava is a very wearable piece and beautifully made, but the rhinestone cowboy stuff with the time on mars chimed by David Bowie made from pure unobtanium is something else entirely. Even if I was a billionaire I really couldn't see me going for this kind of pieces. I find them very "cheesy" for the real want of a better word. Elegance bypassed. Kinda like a gold plated stretch limo with a jacuzzi in the back. A tad too "Elvis" for me If all watches were 500 quid I still wouldn't TBH. I'm just not within their market.

Wibbs,

Didn't like the look of it either, my friend over in
    Dubai says the Arabs are mad after watches, it's the only thing that distinguishes them for there wealth. Well apart from the Rolls, airplanes, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Kinda like a gold plated stretch limo with a jacuzzi in the back.

I think that is the best way I have heard of describing watches in this price category.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I bought lot 11 which to be honest thought madness for a used watch but check out what lot 67 went for e432,000!
    https://auctionata.com/intl/s/234/patek-and-rolex-only-march-2015#objects

Nice buy Iomb. Must post pics :) I thought lot 37 where someone paid 1200 quid for a Patek keyring was where the high powered blotter acid kicked in. :eek:

lomb wrote: »
    I bought lot 11 which to be honest thought madness for a used watch but check out what lot 67 went for e432,000!
    https://auctionata.com/intl/s/234/patek-and-rolex-only-march-2015#objects

Thanks a million for that link :mad:; I've now discovered that I need one of these:
    b06f-34c5-4d8e-bbf4-32ec0628390b.jpg
    Even if they are 31mm.

I also noticed this dodgy military pocket watch conversion. €2k - the world's gone mad!
    8eac-db73-469e-a9df-f0e5e575bd08.jpg

Yea I thought the pocket watch marriage/franken was "interesting". No doubt quite a few of the same folks who would rightfully laugh at Ukrainian frankens will be OK with this because it's going through an auction house and has the R word on the dial. The hands don't even match. TBH I have seen better examples from Ukraine and Poland. Other prices seem pretty reasonable for a few Rolexes, which makes a nice change. The Patek madness seems unabated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Nice buy Iomb. Must post pics :) I thought lot 37 where someone paid 1200 quid for a Patek keyring was where the high powered blotter acid kicked in. :eek:

Thanks, will do. .
    It should retain its value a few lots later a eighties one in terrible condition made only a few hundred less. At least this one looks unused.
    I was looking at their Asian auction a couple of small porcelain cows made 20 grand eek

• Advertisement

Before I knew it I spent hours flicking through that Auctionata site.....:rolleyes:

Advertisement