Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the going rate - money-wise for a Communion?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

It's for a neighbours child, was thinking of getting him a present for about 25€ and throwing him 20€ in a card - is this too ridiculous/stingy?? Not going to party or anything but the kids knock around together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think that's far too much. A tenner in a card would be more in line with my thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I made my communion 11 years ago, everyone gave me €20, parents €150, godparents €100.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Parents gave you money? That sounds crazy to me.
    I was thinking a small present or 10-20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd give a tenner.
    If we were asked to house for party thing I'd give 20-25

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It wouldn't cross my mind to give anything to a neighbours child to be honest :o but I think unless you know them well 10-15 in the card is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Its usually around €15-20 op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

About three fiddy....... Oops, sorry, AH that way >...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

For a neighbour I would only give €10. My daughter is making her communion this year and I wouldn't expect the neighbours to give her anything. If they felt they wanted to then I would hope no more than €10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would say a tenner as well.

• Administrators Posts: 13,809 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A neighbour €10. A relative €20. A Godchild a small gift, (+ optional €20 in a card!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

€20 gift card for smyths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

€10 is loads I think aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

Do neighbours who are not family give cash gifts for communions? Wow, I'm either very out of touch or very mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

€10 for a neighbour. I got hit with three of them last year in one week, and another two a short bit later.

My Nephew got two Xbox games.

@skallywag - I wouldn't give to every neighbour, but the ones I know, would occasionally go out with, but would've felt like a d*ck had I left out the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

skallywag wrote: »
    Do neighbours who are not family give cash gifts for communions? Wow, I'm either very out of touch or very mean!

I would only give it if I was invited over to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

€10, only if they lived right next door or was a good neighbours child..

Advertisement