Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting lessons - What to expect?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided to bite the bullet & start swimming lessons. I've enrolled in the NAC beginner class & was wondering, as a nervous 43yo starting to learn for the first time what can I expect in an 8 week course? I'd prefer to be eased into anything too complicated early on as I'd be afraid any confidence/drive I have taking a dent & was wondering what the normal sequencing is for total beginners?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Firstly,

Don't expect to be able to swim in 8 weeks... :)

You will learn the basics of breathing in and out above and under the water,
    Balance within the water, basic leg kick, Standing yourself up both from being prone and supine (Depending on how you are within the water)

The main agenda of the lessons should be confidence and safety within the water..

It takes time,

But don't give up...

Once you start moving progression is a lot faster!

Go in with an open mind - if you want to learn you will!

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭DvB

shakencat wrote: »
    Firstly,

Don't expect to be able to swim in 8 weeks... :)

You will learn the basics of breathing in and out above and under the water,
    Balance within the water, basic leg kick, Standing yourself up both from being prone and supine (Depending on how you are within the water)

The main agenda of the lessons should be confidence and safety within the water..

It takes time,

But don't give up...

Once you start moving progression is a lot faster!

Go in with an open mind - if you want to learn you will!

Best of luck !

:-) ha ha ha, nah I wasn't expecting to be swimming in 8 weeks... I'm a realist & expect this will take time & to be fair I wont mind that as long as I feel I am progressing.

I was more interested in seeing what I'm likely to be facing into in the 8 week perios & you've described that brilliantly, thanks for that.

I'm nervous (very, in fact) but really do want to learn so will definitely go in willing to give it my all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

well done on starting lessons, swimming is just super for your body and mind. keep us posted on your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

From the course I did the different strokes were covered - backstroke, frontcrawl and breaststroke plus threading of the water. If you are anyway confident in the water you will probably be pushed up from beginner to intermediate. A lot of beginners are afraid of the water, e.g. putting their head under the water.
    You could be taught how to sink to the bottom of the pool and practise breathing out under the water.
    You may also be using kickboards, woggles and pullbuoys to aid your floatation and practise the strokes. The dead man's float may be practised. It is a good indication of how relaxed and well positioned your body is in the water.

Best of luck with it. I am going through the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The NAC is great for this. All the adult lessons are in pool A with a depth of 1m so it's a very forgiving environment. The teachers there are excellent and they have brought on thousands of nervous adults since they started in 2003.

You won't regret it and the only other comment I'd suggest is that it might take a few terms to get the hang of swimming, but even if the only result after 1 term was an absence of the basic fear of water I would consider that a great success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭DvB

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The NAC is great for this. All the adult lessons are in pool A with a depth of 1m so it's a very forgiving environment. The teachers there are excellent and they have brought on thousands of nervous adults since they started in 2003.

You won't regret it and the only other comment I'd suggest is that it might take a few terms to get the hang of swimming, but even if the only result after 1 term was an absence of the basic fear of water I would consider that a great success.

Thats pretty much what I'm expecting if I'm being honest, its always been the fear of water (& being out of my depth) that's held me back, if I can get over that it'll be worthwhile.

FTR unless I have a complete disaster I fully expect to stick with it & keep taking lessons until I actually learn to swim.

Out of interest, how many people are catered for in each term?

Advertisement