Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Renting

Options
  • 25-03-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Me and my girlfriend were looking to move to Manchester in the summer but due to how weak the euro is to the pound we decided not to as we would lose a lot of money so were looking for somewhere to rent in Dublin.

Can anyone give us any advice as I'm pretty clueless with this but I read the threshold website which gave me a good bit of information.

Were looking for a one bedroom apartment and are budget for rent is 800-950 a month.

Anyone who has ever moved into a one bedroom apartment can you give me a rough idea of how much it would cost a month in terms of rent, bills and food etc...

Also be great if you could give us the names of a few nice places to live that would be cheap enough.

I'm from Cabra and my girlfriend is from Clondakin.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Firstly, rent, bills, food etc are all subjective costs and will be determined by a number of factors. If you're working all day, you're going to use less electricity, heating etc. If you shop at Spar rather than Aldi, you're going to spend more on food.

One website I checked suggested €755/year for electricity, so €63/month. Internet will be around €40/month. TV will be €13/month on the licence. Home contents insurance at least €10/month. Food roughly €400/month. Rents are high at the moment so I'd say closer to 900 is reasonable. So you're looking at about €1400/month just for the basics.

Do you and your girlfriend work or go to college? Have you got access to a car? The answers to these will determine where in Dublin you will want to start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

http://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-to-rent/?s%5Bmxp%5D=950&s%5Bmnb%5D=1&s%5Bmxb%5D=1&s%5Bpt_id%5D=1

will give you an idea of what's available in your price range for a 1 bed showing you where in the city they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Firstly, rent, bills, food etc are all subjective costs and will be determined by a number of factors. If you're working all day, you're going to use less electricity, heating etc. If you shop at Spar rather than Aldi, you're going to spend more on food.

One website I checked suggested €755/year for electricity, so €63/month. Internet will be around €40/month. TV will be €13/month on the licence. Home contents insurance at least €10/month. Food roughly €400/month. Rents are high at the moment so I'd say closer to 900 is reasonable. So you're looking at about €1400/month just for the basics.

Do you and your girlfriend work or go to college? Have you got access to a car? The answers to these will determine where in Dublin you will want to start looking.

My girlfriend works for 9 hours a day 5 days a week I'm a graphic designer and have a work from home job so I'll be using electricity to keep my laptop on.

Were going to get a Android TV box so we don't have to pay for Sky Digital and things like that so will only need the TV Licence.

Yes 900 is looking more likely as anything below doesn't seem to be too nice for two people to live together.

My girlfriend has a car so location in Dublin doesn't really matter she works in the City Center.

Would be shopping in LIDL/ALDI too.

Thanks for the link to Daft.ie poster above also I have checked that and Rent.ie I'm just looking at what would be the average cost everything included a month.

Advertisement