Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 Jag XJR

Options
  • 25-03-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hope I have this in the right section. My father has the above car. Owned it from new and now has 88k miles on it. Full service history and in good condition for it's age. There's no NCT on it and taxed untill the end of the month. Any idea what it's worth ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Hi,

Lovely car but unfortunately they are worth very little here as the high tax band has rendered them too costly for those in the second hand car market.

Almost all XJRs (of similar vintage) on the market at the moment are sitting on dealer forecourts, taken in as a trade and even these cars have asking prices of €3000 or less.

Private sale with no NCT would be lower again I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭pcardin

I got a '00 one in Dublin a year ago for €1300.00
    Was on sale for long until I bought it (was following the ad for 4 months). I'm keeping mine abroad and use only when I'm there. Very powerful but 9.5 MPG is not for everyone. Plus enormous tax is what makes it sales proof in Ireland. If someone will buy it it will go for export most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Even still €1300 is a bargain for one of these

gtansey44 wrote: »
    Even still €1300 is a bargain for one of these

It maybe is (was for me for sure) but seller was struggling to sell for months with no luck. Car wasn't perfect either. Had a nasty dent in passengers door and computer was throwing errors. Got all fixed but parts ain't exactly cheap on these. All in total I think I spend around 3k (car+fixing up +export). They start from 5k in continental Europe though so yes, mine is still cheap. It's not really a everyday car either due to poor mpg and stupid ford electronics. For me it's more like a collectible, I like the looks and believe they will go up in price with a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

pcardin wrote: »
    Was on sale for long until I bought it (was following the ad for 4 months). I'm keeping mine abroad and use only when I'm there. Very powerful but 9.5 MPG is not for everyone. Plus enormous tax is what makes it sales proof in Ireland. If someone will buy it it will go for export most likely.

It must average more than 9.5 day to day ?

I mean how much would you get on a quickish run from Dublin to Cork or on N-roads ?

Had a few V8 Mercs, mostly W116 or W126 but they were all better then that.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    It must average more than 9.5 day to day ?

I mean how much would you get on a quickish run from Dublin to Cork or on N-roads ?

Had a few V8 Mercs, mostly W116 or W126 but they were all better then that.

I didn't drive much in Ireland because car wasn't taxed and was for export anyway. I filled a tank just before ferry from Dublin (80 litres) and did 3 miles from petrol station to Dublin port, then once off the ferry from Port of Liverpool to Wolverhampton (around 80 miles) and gauge on petrol was only one line above half tank (just like in picture below). Board computer shoved 9mls per galon most of time and on motorway the best i saw was 12 mls per galon. No speeding.

Funny enough I have had loads of big engined cars , V6, R6 and V8 and this jag for sure is the most uneconomical of all (except Cadillac STS maybe). But it is so beautiful and elegant.

42147535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

pcardin wrote: »

You got an XJR for €1300? A supercharged XJR like?

Op, good examples with good history are still fetching excellent money. A 1 owner car with low miles and good history will bring good money easily enough. What kind of history is with your Dad's?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dub3075

Thanks for the info guys.

There's full service history on it. Jaguar for the first 5 or 6 years and then independent after that. One of the services form Spirit cost over €5k if I remember correctly. Timing chain problems. It does about 25mpg on a long run. Around town about 15mpg. I think I'l put it through the nct and then put it up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Crazy market isn't it, a Jag for €1300 , where as that probably wouldn't get you a decent 1.2 Punto at the minute...

I know which of them two I'd rather spend my money on..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

It really is a shame the government have a hate again big luxury cars it's killing the enthusiastic motorists.
    The father brought in a xj6 a few Years ago the UK tax was £250 here was around 1500.
    I wouldn't mind throwing in the fuel but it's the 1500+ tax before you even go to the shops.
    Everything should be 500 to tax they would make it up on fuel and pump life into the luxury market.
    Once rolls Royce jag bmw mercs etc hit about 15yrs old they are basically worthless due to running costs and a lot end up crushed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yeah it's an awful situation here at the minute, sad thing is though I can only seeing it getting worst.

It would pain me to drive anything less than a 2.5 litre, I love my engines if I could afford the tax I'd have bigger the thoughts of ever going back to a boring 1.6 litre would kill me or dread the thought....diesel.

Car manufactures in petrol terms seem to be going the way of smaller turbo cars, like Alfa's TBI engine and 1.4 Turbo which produce 200hp and 170hp, that's very good going power wise from them small engines....but the problem is for the enthusiast we like the sound of our big V6/V8 engines...despite the decent power return it still sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

You got an XJR for €1300? A supercharged XJR like?

Op, good examples with good history are still fetching excellent money. A 1 owner car with low miles and good history will bring good money easily enough. What kind of history is with your Dad's?

Yep. XJR. Supercharged 4l V8 with nearly 400 horse power. Had a picture posted too from original ad in one of my posts.

As for value, good one goes for about 5k+ in continental Europe and 3k+ in UK. Here they are too rare to even make any price level. Saw one not too long going for 3k and got mine for 1300. Seller had on sale mine one for a good while and people weren't exactly queuing up for it. Standard XJ V8 goes for even half of that money.

Irishcrx wrote: »

I know which of them two I'd rather spend my money on..

Yes, but you have to remember that even if the car can be bought for close to nothing maintenance costs are still the same when it was new, possibly even higher with them getting more and more rare.

Advertisement