Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA lab kit suggestions

Options
  • 25-03-2015 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking at completing ICND1 and ICND2 in the near future. Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a hands-on lab kit, or would it be better to save the cash and go the emulator (GNS3 et al) route?

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Packet Tracer is perfect for the CCNA. GNS3 doesn't do switching, at least not cisco switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Thanks for the tip. Would I be OK just using Packet Tracer and an emulator without hands-on gear? I can't see any major need for actual hardware if I had an emulator with (legally obtained) IOS images to use as well as Packet Tracer for example.

I have a degree of familiarity with the actual hardware anyway, so it's grand in that respect. Switches and routers aren't exactly entertaining physically. :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Would I be OK just using Packet Tracer and an emulator without hands-on gear? I can't see any major need for actual hardware if I had an emulator with (legally obtained) IOS images to use as well as Packet Tracer for example.

I have a degree of familiarity with the actual hardware anyway, so it's grand in that respect. Switches and routers aren't exactly entertaining physically. :pac: :D

Packet tracer is designed for the CCNA. The L2 options that GNS3 uses, like IOU and Arista are interesting but tend to miss simple things that you would be working on. Or have horrific flaws.

When I moved to my CCNP I used four switches for SWITCH and GNS3 on my desktop for ROUTE. At CCIE level, I'm now using a ESXI host and 4 switches.

If I was going back to the CCNP I'd investigate Cisco's VIRL but for now I have the hardware required already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Another vote for packet tracer, will be all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I used Packet Tracer as well... Very good.. I set up templates with three and four routers, and just kept setting up the IP6, IP4, Routing protocols until I was very familiar with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement