Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you you ever challenged a litter lout?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Yes, ya kinda have to

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I just shoot them a disapproving look that adequately conveys the depth of my disdain for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just shoot them a disapproving look that adequately conveys the depth of my disdain for them.
    I'd be the same. I'm not very confrontational, although I'd have no problem saying it to somebody that I knew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

depends how big they are

it they look big & thuggish then no, cause i'm a chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cameras need to be outlawed, for the sake of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Did Before,it's really not Worth the hassle though,they throw something on the ground,you say it to them,they cuss and threaten you,you nearly get into a fight over an empty box of smokes and the pryck will do the exact same again with the next pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

My friends used to throw paper out the window of my car just to piss me off. On one occasion they asked me to spin over to tesco's where they bought some cheap **** (instant noodles and ****) just to throw out the window. They also used to throw money out the window. God dam bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

kneemos wrote: »
    Cameras need to be outlawed, for the sake of humanity.

Have to agree here. People are strapping cameras to themselves and going out looking for trouble , almost like real life trolls.

Cyclists seem the worst for it, you feel as if they are cycling around almost hoping for an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

fizzypish wrote: »
    They also used to throw money out the window.

You drove Enda around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Yet another cyclist out looking for trouble with a camera strapped to his noggin.

Not one fcuk does that twat give about the littering problems society deals with.

I bet the laws regarding red lights, pedestrian crossings and cyclists are not seen as being nearly as important to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hell no.
    Not worth the grief.
    If they are a litter lout, they probably indulge in many other unsavoury acts.
    What am I to do? Following them home and point out the wrong in their ways time and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Love how brave he was until the facts of the situation hit him... didn't really think it through did he haha... love that the cops said he could be charged with common assault too haha

If he had an offense on camera (the guy littering) then report it to the police with the number plate etc... no need to be a vigilante... it rarely works out like the movies...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Im not generally confrontational if I have time to think (and chicken out!) But im also very reactionary. I live in the sticks and when driving to work join a major road from a grass up the middle side road favoured by professional drivers as a rest stop. One day as I approached the junction a taxi driver wounded down his window and dropped a pizza box and all accompanying chip wrappers, drink cup and napkins virtually onto my bonnet. I jammed on, picked up the lot and not saying a word handed it all back to him. I pretended then to note his reg number but to be honest all that was going through my head was "oh ****noh **** oh jesus hes big oh ****".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've picked up a piece of dropped litter and handed it back to the dropper, saying "I think this is yours" with a pleasant smile.
    (done this more than once)
    Responses vary: from wide-eyed horror ("I was spotted!!") to elaborate disdain; and once the person held out their hand and dropped it again. I picked the item up and put it in a nearby litter bin, watched by a whole bus queue.
    Once I spoke quite gently to a child who was throwing mess off the edge of a station platform and its very rough-diamond parent tackled me belligerently. I like to think that my words were calm but cutting LOL

In all cases, I do think that that person will remember next time: nobody likes to shown up in public and the jab in their memory will remain active, I hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Love how brave he was until the facts of the situation hit him... didn't really think it through did he haha... love that the cops said he could be charged with common assault too haha

If he had an offense on camera (the guy littering) then report it to the police with the number plate etc... no need to be a vigilante... it rarely works out like the movies...

And what are your feelings on the hard man scum bag littering public places?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

irish_goat wrote: »

Needs a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I live beside croke park (no, I'm not one of those nutters either). Young guy (probably 18) was walking down the road before a match (like 11am or so) and dropped a chocolate wrapper on the ground as I was walking past.

Stopped (with my 5 year old) and asked him to pick it up. He said no. I then grabbed him by the collar (im 5'9, 12 stone) and told him to pick it up as I waved over to the garda that was at the cordon. Still wouldnt pick it up. Garda came over, whats the story, told him the story. Garda asked him did he drop it, he said he did but it was a mistake. Garda took all his details and asked him to pick it up and he put it in the bin.

Moral - grab those little fuc**rs by the collar .

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

I live beside croke park (no, I'm not one of those nutters either). Young guy (probably 18) was walking down the road before a match (like 11am or so) and dropped a chocolate wrapper on the ground as I was walking past.

Stopped (with my 5 year old) and asked him to pick it up. He said no. I then grabbed him by the collar (im 5'9, 12 stone) and told him to pick it up as I waved over to the garda that was at the cordon. Still wouldnt pick it up. Garda came over, whats the story, told him the story. Garda asked him did he drop it, he said he did but it was a mistake. Garda took all his details and asked him to pick it up and he put it in the bin.

Moral - grab those little fuc**rs by the collar .

To be honest mate that's a pretty stupid thing to be doing, especially with your 5 year old with you. Why risk getting in to a digging match with some muppet when your 5 year old is beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Kop On wrote: »
    To be honest mate that's a pretty stupid thing to be doing, especially with your 5 year old with you. Why risk getting in to a digging match with some muppet when your 5 year old is beside you.

kids give you immunity from stuff like that. Take the getting pelted with snowballs by knackers. They'll never chuck snowballs at you if you have a kid/pram, but if you are a thirtysomething walking down the road on your own, you're getting nailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

kids give you immunity from stuff like that. Take the getting pelted with snowballs by knackers. They'll never chuck snowballs at you if you have a kid/pram, but if you are a thirtysomething walking down the road on your own, you're getting nailed.

Not far from where you challenged the lout, I saw one of the worst things I've ever seen. A fella walking in to Croke Park with his Daughter, I'd guess she was 7 or 8 maybe and 4 or 5 lads started punching the head off him, he never let go off his Daughters hand (out of fear I presume).

The chap was in bits, the little girl had her Dad's blood splattered all over her jersey. Don't assume anything just because you have a kid with you.

Fair play to you for challenging the lout (although I wouldn't agree with grabbing them) but in future I'd consider the kid you have with you and don't put them in potential harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Yet another cyclist out looking for trouble with a camera strapped to his noggin.

Not one fcuk does that twat give about the littering problems society deals with.

I bet the laws regarding red lights, pedestrian crossings and cyclists are not seen as being nearly as important to him.

Nice generalisation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I'm sure a detective would be assigned to the case right away :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, but nicely.

I hand scented nappy bags to people who are not picking up their dog's excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Did once on Francis st but it nearly ended in a scrap. Glad I confronted him but would advise waking away if the jacket comes off and fists are raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Like most normal people, I instantly noticed the juxtaposition of the words, cyclist, video and driver and moved swiftly on, fearing the righteous and hysterical fug within.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Some spanish kids at my then local luas station, tossed a can of coke and a few other wrappers on the ground, they were giggling about how cool they were and chatting in spanish about how they didn't care etc etc.

Spoke to them in Spanish, told them I was an off duty cop (am not) but that they had 2 choices that they pick up the litter or I could issue them an on the spot fine, take their names and send a letter to the local embassy who would contact their school complaining about the behaviour of their kids abroad.

Dopey kids believed it, swarmed around like ants picking up their litter and every other bit of rubbish near them as I sat nodding my head in approval.

Was with the missus, she was laughing at me more than the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

also you can use them as a shield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

irish_goat wrote: »

Yeah, me too. That video was great, well worth a watch. You linked a terrible quality version though, this is much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbs6eMxa5ds

• Advertisement
Advertisement