Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm beeping, tamper error at front door

Options
  • 25-03-2015 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for some assistance with my HKC home alarm. I have been having an intermittent problem with the 30 second beep warning activating in the middle of the night. The control panel gives the warning that there is a tamper error at the front door. This issue has been there several years and over the last week has been particularly bad with the tamper error activating several times per night.The net result normally involves me waking from a sleep to the sound of the beeps and me leaping from bed to deactivate the alarm by the control panel in our bedroom before the 30 second lapses and the alarm goes off.

I usually then go downstairs, open and close the front door and give the sensor a good tap with my index finger. There is also a connection box at the bottom of the door frame that I give a little kick to for good measure.

I am hoping that someone on here can give me some advice how I might be able to fix this myself. I suspect that either the magnetic strip is defective or else the tamper switch . Where can I buy replacements in Cork city?
    I have the engineer code and I know these are relatively simple to install.

I am attaching a picture of the tamper switch and magnetic strip connectors

I am writing this at 4.20am after getting out of bed for the 3rd time to deactivate on account of the above issue. I have now resorted to switching the alarm off entirely to get a goodnight sleep.

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I have no idea, however I have heard stories of thieves setting it off once or twice a night to get you to THINK there may be an issue....this means you may just leave it off once you go back to bed. Does this happen during the day (if it is on) or is it just a night time thing? I personally would get someone out to have a look at it in the am.

Just re read you post oops, sorry op! You said the issue has been happening years.....i thought for some reason it was just this week! my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

Hi James,

It does occasionally go off during the day. Most of the time the tamper warning activates within 10-15 minutes from getting into bed. Recently it has started to go off a few times when post comes through the letter box and it is for this reason that I am convinced that it is a genuine fault rather then a creative burglar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The tamper could be due to that device being faulty or s connection or wiring fault.
    A quick fix would be to remove the tamper input for that zone from the panel and replace it with a short length of cable or a staple.
    This will not affect the operation of the alarm zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

Thanks for the suggestion Koolkid,

Attached are pictures of the tamper box with the cover off and also the connection box at the base of the door.

Do the wiring appear to be in order ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hard to see from there , do you have a multi meter to test the cables.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi All,

I am looking for some assistance with my HKC home alarm. I have been having an intermittent problem with the 30 second beep warning activating in the middle of the night. The control panel gives the warning that there is a tamper error at the front door. This issue has been there several years and over the last week has been particularly bad with the tamper error activating several times per night.The net result normally involves me waking from a sleep to the sound of the beeps and me leaping from bed to deactivate the alarm by the control panel in our bedroom before the 30 second lapses and the alarm goes off.

I usually then go downstairs, open and close the front door and give the sensor a good tap with my index finger. There is also a connection box at the bottom of the door frame that I give a little kick to for good measure.

I am hoping that someone on here can give me some advice how I might be able to fix this myself. I suspect that either the magnetic strip is defective or else the tamper switch . Where can I buy replacements in Cork city?
    I have the engineer code and I know these are relatively simple to install.

I am attaching a picture of the tamper switch and magnetic strip connectors

I am writing this at 4.20am after getting out of bed for the 3rd time to deactivate on account of the above issue. I have now resorted to switching the alarm off entirely to get a goodnight sleep.

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Could be a loose connection if giving them a bang sorts the issue.
    Next time watch which one sorts the issue with the bang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

OP knowing the model of the junction box at the end of your door, the tamper screw on those comes loose so perhaps get yourself a screwdriver and make sure that the cover screw is tightened properly.

Eitherway it is not really an ideal location for a junction box.

Advertisement