Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manslaughter or not.

Options
  • 24-03-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭

If you called out to somebody you knew and because they stopped and turned around they were hit by a bus and killed would you be responsible for their death?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

kneemos wrote: »
    If you called out to somebody you knew and because they stopped and turned around they were hit by a bus and killed would you be responsible for their death?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why would a fully functioning person stop in the middle of the road in front of a bus for whatever reason? why does there have to be someone else to blame for someone's idiocy?

so no!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not unless you had orchestrated the bus hitting them, then no. What a strange question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It's a question of intention - did the individual intend to disrupt the movement of another person such that imminent death would result?

Questions such as the OP are meaningless without this type of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Sounds like a scene from Final Destination ...

"Hey Cindy wanna go see a movie with me tomorrow ?"

"Yah, sure thing Corey lemme just check my ...." *ER ERRRRR* SPLAT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Depends on what you said.

If it was "Look out for that bus!", then no.

But if it was "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries".

Then, yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The bus is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why do I feel than in a couple of years time I'll be reading about this thread at kneemos' sentencing report?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a question of intention - did the individual intend to disrupt the movement of another person such that imminent death would result?

Questions such as the OP are meaningless without this type of context.

No intention,it would be hard to orchestrate anyway.
    The person died as a direct result of being shouted at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Depends whether or not you were driving the bus when you called out to the deceased

• Advertisement

The caller bears no responsibility, either morally or legally. There's a reason why we have a word for these things: accident. Sometimes it's just a case of wrong place and wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Were you driving along that bus when you called her into the street?
    Then yes. Otherwise, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Hi Kneemos

aside from the question that you asked ,this thread says to me that there is a deep rooted inner question you have either for yourself or sombody you know

if it is affecting you/sombody you know to a level where your looking for answers on boards,can i suggest that you contact a support orgnastion or seek help from a counsellor or local mental health team

or give the people in pieta house a ring ?

with the best will in the world boardies will give you superfical answers to a question that needs inner answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Why do I feel than in a couple of years time I'll be reading about this thread at kneemos' sentencing report?

Why would he be getting sentenced? It's the perfect crime and now he knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Thinly veiled "I'm trying to kill someone but make it look like an accident and seeing if I'll get away with it" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

No, they didn't. There was an unforeseen exceptional intervening act - a novus actus interveniens in legal speak - that broke the chain of causation between your act of calling out and the person's death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Simply, no.

There's no negligent act (the minimum required for manslaughter)

Jawgap wrote: »
    Simply, no.

But there is motive and semen so OP's looking at first degree murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

No intention,it would be hard to orchestrate anyway.

No then. Of course not.

It would be murder if you orchestrated it btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If you come home to find Peter Falk rooting through your potted plants I'd be afraid. Very afraid. And not just because he's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hi Kneemos

aside from the question that you asked ,this thread says to me that there is a deep rooted inner question you have either for yourself or sombody you know

if it is affecting you/sombody you know to a level where your looking for answers on boards,can i suggest that you contact a support orgnastion or seek help from a counsellor or local mental health team

or give the people in pieta house a ring ?

with the best will in the world boardies will give you superfical answers to a question that needs inner answers

I'm touched.

But no.

I'm touched.

But no.

Where were you touched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bus Driver at fault irrelevant what you shout.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

If you ordered a fucking pizza and the delivery guy came off his moped and died on the way to your gaff are you responsible for his death?

Actually if you ordered a pizza but then a minute later you called up and cancelled and then 15 minutes later the delivery guy slipped on an olive in the pizza kitchen and went flying face first into the oven and was baked to death (which wouldn't have happened if he was merrily scootering his way to your kip with your order that you cancelled, you murderous bastard) are you responsible for his death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We need to compile all of these in a separate thread and call it something like The Kneemos Dialogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bus Driver at fault irrelevant what you shout.

Some idiot steps out in front of him and stops, how is that his fault (assuming that he hadn't just driven through a red light).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

why would a fully functioning person stop in the middle of the road in front of a bus for whatever reason? why does there have to be someone else to blame for someone's idiocy?

so no!

Reflex can be a dangerous thing. And there is a legal debate to be had over whether you can be held accountable over other peoples reactions to your actions. The prime example being if you shout fire in a crowded cinema can you be held responsible if someone gets trampled to death in the evacuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

No, manslaughter does not require intent. It can also be involuntary.
    Candie wrote: »
    The caller bears no responsibility, either morally or legally. There's a reason why we have a word for these things: accident. Sometimes it's just a case of wrong place and wrong time.
    No, the caller could be deemed to have acted in a reckless manner, even if there was no intent to harm. Consider the same caller, but instead of crossing a street, the victim is on a tightrope with a deadly drop beneath him.

In this case the act of calling, which has a good chance of distracting the victim to the point they lose their balance, could be seen as reckless and the caller would be at least partially culpable for the results.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Depends on the jurisdiction.
    Egginacup wrote: »
    If you ordered a fucking pizza and the delivery guy came off his moped and died on the way to your gaff are you responsible for his death?
    No, but ordering a pizza is not a reckless action (for the pizza guy). Calling out to someone where they could come to harm and when they need to concentrate on what they're doing, could well be seen as such. Different scenarios entirely.

kylith wrote: »
    Some idiot steps out in front of him and stops, how is that his fault (assuming that he hadn't just driven through a red light).

Of course it's the drivers fault, as well as the guy who stopped in the middle of the road.

If the driver sees someone crossing the road they have to be prepared for any eventuality, including someone stopping, stumbling or falling over right in front of them. If the driver couldn't stop in time he was going too fast and/or not paying enough attention.

• Advertisement

No, the caller could be deemed to have acted in a reckless manner, even if there was no intent to harm. Consider the same caller, but instead of crossing a street, the victim is on a tightrope with a deadly drop beneath him.

In this case the act of calling, which has a good chance of distracting the victim to the point they lose their balance, could be seen as reckless and the caller would be at least partially culpable for the results.

Another similar(ish) example would be the guy who committed suicide in Telford a couple of weeks ago.

Police are trying to identify the scumbags who goaded him to jump and are trying to come up with a charge to prosecute them under although I think that they will more likely be charged with being huge @ssholes rather than manslaughter.

Advertisement