Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling on top of root canal fell out

Options
  • 24-03-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone, I had a root canal on a front molar last year. There was a lot of decay in the tooth and all that was left really was a shell surround, not even fully round, The dentist fashioned a white filling to cover it up ( not sure with what but it was set with the light I think!)

Not sure if the root canal ever really took as have had a hard lump on my gum since about a month after but it wasn't sore and I was happy to have full tooth (really thought I was going to lose it) and I was worried if I went back she would say that the root canal didnt work and tooth has to come out. Between that and a lack of funds I didnt go back for any follow up work (i know she wanted to do a few more fillings and some root scrapings) anyway about a week and a half ago the filling fell out completely leaving the old shell of a tooth, does this mean the old root is completely exposed and getting progressively more damaged?
    Is there any possibility the tooth can still be saved?
    I couldnt go back as I didnt get paid until today rang them up just now. I can see my dentist this coming thursday at 2:30, so heres my next question if she thinks she can save it what is she likely to do?
    and how long willl the recovery time take?
    I am an actress and due on stage 5 hrs after the appointment, really need to be able to use my jaw fully to be able to project so questioning whether to keep the appointment or not. If its anyway swollen I'll sound like an idiot

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I would suggest you return to your dentist before the tooth breaks irreparably. If this tooth is a molar (large back tooth for chewing) then it will likely need a crown (the vast majority, and some dentists would say all, of molars that have root canal treatment require protective covering afterwards to prevent breakage and re infection).

If the root canal treatment in the tooth is open to the mouth for long enough it can become reinfected with bacteria. So don't wait, see a dentist.

Advertisement