Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do landlords feel about taking in someone who's on social welfare?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

First time on social welfare. I'm planning to move and a lot of rent ads look for "professionals", "work references" and so on, which is understandable. Should I just cross off those flats straight away? Would they take you in with a previous landlord reference at least?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: There's likely better answers available in the Accommodation & Property forum, so I'll move this over there for you. Also worth having a look at the State Benefits forum. Here's a search result link for threads on rent allowance for you to have a look at: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=rent%20allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Thanks!

First time on social welfare.
    Edit: Job Seeker's allowance, not rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op I'm sorry to say that you would not be a good prospect as a tenant for most landlords. It is very difficult to evict a tenant who isn't:/can't pay rent so LL's will look to minimise risk in as much as possible. An unemployed person is a higher risk than a "professional" person with a steady income.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

davo10 wrote: »
    Op I'm sorry to say that you would not be a good prospect as a tenant for most landlords. It is very difficult to evict a tenant who isn't:/can't pay rent so LL's will look to minimise risk in as much as possible. An unemployed person is a higher risk than a "professional" person with a steady income.

But this isn't always true now is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Gatling wrote: »
    But this isn't always true now is it

This isnt always true, but presumably landlords have more success going after a person with means, than a person without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There's also the issue that someone who isn't working will be in the property more than someone who is so there's increased wear and tear.

Plus the possibility of benefits being cut...too big a risk, if there's a choice between a professional and someone on JSA, for a landlord IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

While I find that regular tenants are far less hassle than RA tenants and are quite capable of changing a lamp without making a sing and dance about it. I find that RA are realiable in that they don't have a job and I know that welfare will pay their rent evey month. With a working tenant, there's skways the fear if them being made redundant

Do you think it would make any difference if I had an internship at least? Would they not care if I provided them with a proof I can afford the rent with what I'm receiving from the SW? Plus the previous landlord reference?

There has to be something. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Internship would definitely make you a better bet. Indeed, with a work reference saying 'Blackstar works as an Accounts Clerk for us', and paying rent privately LL need not know you are a SW recipient. Some LLs look for bank statements though which negates my cunning plan.

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    Internship would definitely make you a better bet. Indeed, with a work reference saying 'Blackstar works as an Accounts Clerk for us', and paying rent privately LL need not know you are a SW recipient. Some LLs look for bank statements though which negates my cunning plan.

I appreciate your cunning plan. I was hoping that that at least might work because I don't have enough experience in my field of work yet and I should probably do an internship first, now that I have the chance. But that means I'm doomed to at least another 9 months of SW, after I get one. So hopefully it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SimonTheITGuy

I would have no problem renting a property to someone doing an internship who had a company reference. The problem now is with such restricted supply landlords can pick and choose whoever they want. Presuming it's Dublin you are looking, what type of property- apartment, house, house-share?

I would have no problem renting a property to someone doing an internship who had a company reference. The problem now is with such restricted supply landlords can pick and choose whoever they want. Presuming it's Dublin you are looking, what type of property- apartment, house, house-share?

Studio apartment, south Dublin/Dun Laoghaire/Bray even. It gets trickier though, cause we're a couple and he is on back to education allowance. His next course will be in either Bray or in Cork, so we're considering moving to Cork also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Studio apartment, south Dublin/Dun Laoghaire/Bray even. It gets trickier though, cause we're a couple and he is on back to education allowance. His next course will be in either Bray or in Cork, so we're considering moving to Cork also.

Ah yes that definitely makes it 'trickier'.

If the couple break up would be top of my mind.

Apply for single flats where one person can afford the rent. One of you view and show interest in the flat/apartment.

Two of you go and explain situation is big red flag imo.

SoftMicro wrote: »
    Ah yes that definitely makes it 'trickier'.

Apply for single flats where one person can afford the rent. One of you view and show interest in the flat/apartment.
    Two of you go and explain situation is big red flag imo.

Never done that so far. Before this current flat, we only applied for the ones that said they accepted couples or didn't specify but had a double bed.

I don't intend to start doing that, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Rent Allowance has been given a bad name, OP, as there are far too many negatives associated with it, and it's not about the tenants themselves.

When you're on Rent Allowance, your rent is reviewed yearly/every two years and more often than not, the HSE (Or whoever's paying it nowadays) will get back to you when you've submitted your review form, telling you your current rent doesn't reflect the current market rent and that they have no choice but to reduce your Rent Allowance.

They'll also tell you to ask your Landlord to reduce the rent to fall in line with the new rent limit and if he/she won't, you're told to seek alternative accommodation that does fit in with the new limits.

Chances are, your Landlord won't reduce the rent to fit within the limit as he/she may have a mortgage, bills, etc and they can easily replace you, so he's not going to accept a reduction.

The Rent Review form also requires your Landlord to fill out sections and there is a high percentage of Rent Allowance tenants "topping up" the difference between the Allowance and the actual rent.
    This is illegal, (though the HSE seem to turn a blind eye).

Rent Allowance, and it's constant reductions, are tough on the tenant but the Landlord always seems to take the flak/get the blame for not accepting Rent Allowance, but these are just some of the reasons why it's not widely accepted.

I don't accept the argument that people one Rent Allowance are going to destroy the home or cause more wear and tear; that's not a given and when I was on Rent Allowance, I kept my home immaculate.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it's been of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP is not on rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op as an earlier poster said, due to lack of supply LLS can and should try to ensure in as much as possible that they have tenants who can afford the rent. Do you mind if I ask, if your partner has to go to Cork, will you both be able to rent seperate properties or will you then look to leave this property early and at short notice? The reason I ask this, if you want to assure the ll of your ability/intention to pay, you could offer three months rent in advance along with the deposit.

Do you mind if I ask, if your partner has to go to Cork, will you both be able to rent seperate properties or will you then look to leave this property early and at short notice? The reason I ask this, if you want to assure the ll of your ability/intention to pay, you could offer three months rent in advance along with the deposit.

There's no way we could or would want to rent separate properties, so in that case we move together. This is a good idea, although I it remains to be seen if we'll be able to save that much by the time the new academic year starts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement