Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental cost refund..

Options
  • 24-03-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I hope someone may be able to help with my query.. I recently paid 3.5K to an Orthodontist to return back 2 teeth after they were moved after an assault. After 7 months the trreatment was over and the movement was minimal. I complained about the result achieved and te Orthodontist is telling me he was limited in what he could do. He showed me a computer model of what he could achieve which I was happy and proceeded but now gwe have got nowhere near that and he,s telling me was limited in what he could achieve..? It is to my mind complete robbery if he was limited in what could be achieved then he should never have taken my money.. Has anyone had a similiar experience or know what course of action might be available to me..?? Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Have you raised your concerns with the orthodontist? Have you told them how unhappy you are with the outcome?
    You could perhaps make a complaint to the Dental Could of Ireland. http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hank100

Thanks for that its been very helpfull, the protected classes eh.. Worse than mechanics you really are at the mercy of their integrity.. Im just gonna have to keep on to him and hope he does the right thing and give me a partial refund you would expect it for any other goods or services that were not what they said on the tin..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

hank100 wrote: »
    Thanks for that its been very helpfull, the protected classes eh.. Worse than mechanics you really are at the mercy of their integrity.. Im just gonna have to keep on to him and hope he does the right thing and give me a partial refund you would expect it for any other goods or services that were not what they said on the tin..

I'm not sure what you are on about with protected classes. there is a complaints process for dentists. Perhaps you should try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hank100

Ya bad choice of words, just meant it can be hard to challeng certain professions.. thanks for the info..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

hank100 wrote: »
    ...hope he does the right thing and give me a partial refund you would expect it for any other goods or services that were not what they said on the tin..

To play devil's advocate here for a minute, it is nigh on impossible for a medical professional to 100% guarantee an outcome. There are simply too many variables at play there. Add in the fact that patients may not follow their treatment/aftercare schedule and it's incredibly hard for the professional.

This is why medical services do not fall under the category of "what it says on the tin".

What you need here, I suspect, is a second opinion from another orthodontist about your original condition, the recommended course of treatment, the treatment carried out and the eventual outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

dudara wrote: »
    To play devil's advocate here for a minute, it is nigh on impossible for a medical professional to 100% guarantee an outcome. There are simply too many variables at play there. Add in the fact that patients may not follow their treatment/aftercare schedule and it's incredibly hard for the professional.

This is why medical services do not fall under the category of "what it says on the tin".

What you need here, I suspect, is a second opinion from another orthodontist about your original condition, the recommended course of treatment, the treatment carried out and the eventual outcome.

You are correct Dudara, dental services like orthodontics do not come under the terms of the SOGAS Act as there are too many variables. However, prior to treatment informed consent must be obtained and the outcome plus any potential short comings/complications must be discussed. Op if you feel that treatment has fallen short of what you were "gauranteed" at the outset, then you have cause for complaint and should write to the orthodontist outlining your grievance. On the other hand, if the limitations were explained to you and you signed a consent form, then this could well be the limit of what could be achieved and you are unlikely to have any recourse.

Advertisement