Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many Further Eductation/PLC teaching jobs out there?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Are there many further education jobs out there and would there be enough hours in it to have it as a full-time job?

Where would be the best place to find out where these jobs are? They are never listed on job sites, so I'm guessing it's best to actually contact a school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Most of them are vec/etb run. If you keep an eye on your local etb they normally have job vacancies for secondary and plc colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Register with your local ETB. Call to Plc /adult ed centres. Get known. There are very few full time jobs advertised but sometimes hours become available which can grow to other hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

You'll need a Teaching Council number to apply to these jobs. Keep an eye on the ETB websites. Some have already interviewed for next years panel!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

HI - I am registered with the TC for Further Education since 2011. However, I notice that they now require specific further teaching qualifications on their website (TC : Professional Accreditation of Further Education ITE Programmes)

I haven't worked in lecturing since 2012 but was wondering if it is sufficient to apply for further education jobs without any of these further education quals (I have a BA, BSc, PgradDip and MSc) for PLC/Further Ed jobs) or would I also need to add on an actual teaching qualification?

If so, would the PME in post primary education suffice or would it need to be a specific further education qualification as listed on the TC website?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluerigel

Guys thanks for the information above. I'll start checking out the local ETBs as soon as possible.

laurenpedro123 - I also don't have a teaching qualification and I called the teaching council about this.
    They told me that as long as you received your higher degree before 2009 you are okay and you don't need to do the extra qualification.
    If you got your degree after that year you have to do the extra qualification.

You could give them a call to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Thanks a million Bluerigel - that's great. Best of luck to you - fingers crossed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

bluerigel wrote: »
    Are there many further education jobs out there and would there be enough hours in it to have it as a full-time job?

Where would be the best place to find out where these jobs are? They are never listed on job sites, so I'm guessing it's best to actually contact a school.

The best way is to get into a FE college on a few hours and be available when other work comes up. If you can build up your hours, you could end up with a CID...the Golden Ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluerigel

Excuse my ignorance. I'm new to this whole lingo. What is a CID?

I watch "The Wire" too much and "Criminal Investigation Department" keeps popping into my head ! :-P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Contract of Indefinite Duration' - see the ASTI page explaining it.

Another thing to keep in mind with FE colleges in large ETBs is that people with Permanent Wholetime status can be transferred in from second-level schools in the event of falling numbers/closure/amalgamation or sometimes on return from career break.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Hi OP,

I'm nearly 100% sure that you are not eligibale to teach at Fe /plc level.
    The rules changed in 2013 - you need a teaching qualification for Fe or a secondary school teaching qualification. The exception is - if you are in the system already ( teaching ) or have been in the past ... Which I don' t think you are from your previous posts.

You might pick up some teaching / lecturing hrs in a private college or 'hobby' night classes or adult numeracy and literacy classes but for all others you will need a teaching council number which you will get with a teaching qualification.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/initial-teacher-education-ite/professional-accreditation-of-further-education-ite-programmes.1066.html

Best you know this before you invest further time/ effort.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    'Contract of Indefinite Duration' - see the ASTI page explaining it.

Another thing to keep in mind with FE colleges in large ETBs is that people with Permanent Wholetime status can be transferred in from second-level schools in the event of falling numbers/closure/amalgamation or sometimes on return from career break.

Only if they have a subject that can be taught at second level. Which means that the hairdressing teachers and the like who might have been permanent for a couple of years don't have to worry, while people with degrees and H-Dips, who could have been teaching in FE for thirty years, could be transferred. Something wrong there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

katydid wrote: »
    Only if they have a subject that can be taught at second level. Which means that the hairdressing teachers and the like who might have been permanent for a couple of years don't have to worry, while people with degrees and H-Dips, who could have been teaching in FE for thirty years, could be transferred. Something wrong there.

I meant the other way, second level to FE, but yes that's an issue too.

I meant the other way, second level to FE, but yes that's an issue too.

Oh sorry, I didn't read it properly. Just saw the issue of FE redeployment, and got carried away. A particular worry of mine.

We had a person landed in back into ('lively') second level with only a day's notice after almost 20 years at FE. Shell-shocked doesn't describe it.

We had a person landed in back into ('lively') second level with only a day's notice after almost 20 years at FE. Shell-shocked doesn't describe it.

There is no way I could go back to second level. I did it for twelve years.

I won't be moving as long as there's a hairdressing or beauty teacher teaching one hour of Communications or Work Experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We had one of those two. They applied to be transferred back to the prison they had been teaching in the following year.

Advertisement