Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas needed for planting a sloped area

Options
  • 24-03-2015 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I'm looking for ideas for planting an area on the a sloped side of a raised percolation area. It's currently in grass, but can be strimmed. The maintainance of it taking me away from other things I could be doing. Does anyone have any suggestions as the what I could plant for ground cover? I don't really want to remove the grass, so something that would beat the grass into submission would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Depends really if you want a bit of colour? There are lots to chose from.

Personally I'd go for dogwoods (for a small bit of height) and dog roses (to suppress weeds) or my personal favourite Lonicera nitida.

It all depends on the area and surroundings.....a nice shrub in the wrong area can look awful. Post a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IPanoptic

Thanks Peterfalk78. It's not really what I'm after. I was thinking of Lady's Mantle or Vinca Minor, but am unsure how well they'd do in grass. Most of the raise percolation area can be cut, but this side is almost sheer, so strimming the grass is my only option at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

You want to keep the grass to keep the soil "together" until the ground cover plant takes over?

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    You want to keep the grass to keep the soil "together" until the ground cover plant takes over?

Yeah. Less work really. The soil would definitely run off with the rain, but I'd like to "suppress" the grass so I don't have to touch it. I can get almost everywhere else I need to with a mower, but this area is really difficult to manage. There's a hedge behind it about 6 feet away. The hedge I can keep trimmed and the grass in between I can get with a mower. I'd like to keep the view of the hedge so my idea was to plant this area of the raised percolation bed with planting that isnt to high. Sorry if that's as clear as mud..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jessei

try some of the ground covering cotoneasters, slow growers though..but look nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Only really good ground cover I can think of that might do it without removing the grass is rubus tricolor.

You could add a few other plants for height.

Sorry folks, got busy with other stuff. Rubus Tricolour-Creeping Bramble. Don't really fancy that sorry to say. Are there any other ideas floating about to deal with this kinda thing? Plant, coverings, stone, dynamite - all of the above?

iPANOPTIC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about a dwarf hypericum (John's Wort) http://www.vanmeuwen.com/trees-shrubs-and-ornamentals/shrubs/hypercium-daffodil-shrub/V13653VM That link is just for the pic, no idea about the company. Hypericum is easy enough to get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A mixed planting of spring & summer flowering heathers would be an obvious colourful, low maintenance choice. Or a mixed planted of evergreen grasses (Carex).

For a more even low growing but tidy green finish, Pachysandra terminalis 'green carpet'. If it is a semi-shaded area, Heuchera (many varieties to choose from) would also make a distinctive planting scheme.

Speed of development and budget are two important criteria which will influence final choice, but if possible, look beyond the obvious criteria.

Back again for more. I've landed on the idea that a ground cover rose may fit the bill. I was thinking either Pheasant or Grouse Kordes roses..what are the thoughts? I'd rather have to clip a rose than strim/weed or cut the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

IPanoptic wrote: »
    Back again for more. I've landed on the idea that a ground cover rose may fit the bill. I was thinking either Pheasant or Grouse Kordes roses..what are the thoughts? I'd rather have to clip a rose than strim/weed or cut the grass.

Are they and do you need them to be evergreen?

It's not really essential that they stay evergreen Rose, really only that they suppress the grass and the weeds.

I've read that either Grouse or Pheasant can be bullies, but I'm not going to be planting anything else. My only little niggle is thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Take a look at what we did with a slope at ours. Basically we dug some lines into which we slid some rocks, around which now is a selection of mostly alpines and perennials and other random things.

Take a look at what we did with a slope at ours. Basically we dug some lines into which we slid some rocks, around which now is a selection of mostly alpines and perennials and other random things.

That's sweet. Our raised percolation area is in the middle of the garden, so it's an eyesore no matter which way you look at it. We had to get it repaired a few years ago so I can cut the grass on most of it, but the back and one side are very steep still. I like the idea though.

IPanoptic wrote: »
    That's sweet. Our raised percolation area is in the middle of the garden, so it's an eyesore no matter which way you look at it. We had to get it repaired a few years ago so I can cut the grass on most of it, but the back and one side are very steep still. I like the idea though.

You're welcome. We put photinia (red robin) around our percolation area (there's 3 inspection chambers) there. So it's literally a rectangular patch of photinia, in hindsight I should have landscaped it better but it's good enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

wow, that looks great,

ermmm, I just have to ask about the "chap" in the background in pic 3 :o
    please tell me he's not your neighbor !

j6r4ae.jpg

_Brian wrote: »
    wow, that looks great,

ermmm, I just have to ask about the "chap" in the background in pic 3 :o
    please tell me he's not your neighbor !

j6r4ae.jpg

Hehe :-D He's my father in law, helping cut back a ditch. We're thinking of putting big shrubs and trees up there to create more of a boundary between us and the now cut down woods!

Advertisement