Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Envy

Options
  • 24-03-2015 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

So this is a tale of speedy envy. When I was a "few" years younger I read about the Apollo programme and arrived at the Speedmaster. For me it was the ultimate watch. I loved the stark Black/White combination, dials, bracelet and heritage. I decided that if I was ever going to purchase an expensive watch that was it.

I went to Vietnam on my holidays in 2002 and as happens sometimes my girlfriend ended up in plaster towards the end of the holiday, due to a tumble on the streets of Hanoi !

There was a surreal couple of days of finding a suitable hospital for an operation, fighting with insurance companies, and making sure my girlfriend got the right medical attention. I didn't sleep for 40 hours and there were some odd encounters with locals asking if I wanted drugs, girls, boys......or anything else possible.

When it was time to go home we flew through Singapore. At Gassan watches I zoomed in on a speedmaster they had in the display case. My girlfriend knew about my obsession with the watch and said she wanted to buy it for me given how I'd looked after her.

We ended up going 50/50 at my insistence (and we're happily married now) ......Bottom line was I bought my speedy, BUT at the time I misinterpreted speedmaster reduced when I was talking to the guys in the shop, I thought the speedmaster was reduced in price and the moonwatch was on sale.

I've had a love hate with the watch for a long time, as in, its a poor relation, (In my mind) but I wore it today and loved the 38mm dia, the light weight and the black and white contrast. It's a perfect fit.

I'm lucky to own some nice timepieces, but today was the first time I actually realised what I had with the reduced. So my envy has now passed, 4mm doesn't seem like an aspiration anymore...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Etc wrote: »
    So this is a tale of speedy envy. When I was a "few" years younger I read about the Apollo programme and arrived at the Speedmaster. For me it was the ultimate watch. I loved the stark Black/White combination, dials, bracelet and heritage. I decided that if I was ever going to purchase an expensive watch that was it.

I went to Vietnam on my holidays in 2002 and as happens sometimes my girlfriend ended up in plaster towards the end of the holiday, due to a tumble on the streets of Hanoi !

There was a surreal couple of days of finding a suitable hospital for an operation, fighting with insurance companies, and making sure my girlfriend got the right medical attention. I didn't sleep for 40 hours and there were some odd encounters with locals asking if I wanted drugs, girls, boys......or anything else possible.

When it was time to go home we flew through Singapore. At Gassan watches I zoomed in on a speedmaster they had in the display case. My girlfriend knew about my obsession with the watch and said she wanted to buy it for me given how I'd looked after her.

We ended up going 50/50 at my insistence (and we're happily married now) ......Bottom line was I bought my speedy, BUT at the time I misinterpreted speedmaster reduced when I was talking to the guys in the shop, I thought the speedmaster was reduced in price and the moonwatch was on sale.

I've had a love hate with the watch for a long time, as in, its a poor relation, (In my mind) but I wore it today and loved the 38mm dia, the light weight and the black and white contrast. It's a perfect fit.

I'm lucky to own some nice timepieces, but today was the first time I actually realised what I had with the reduced. So my envy has now passed, 4mm doesn't seem like an aspiration anymore...

Great little read as I start my days work, thanks.
    Expand that to a 1000 words and you'd have a neat little feature article :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭893bet

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Great little read as I start my days work, thanks.
    Expand that to a 1000 words and you'd have a neat little feature article :-)

How long for you to realise it was the reduced?

And is that your reduced speedy that just went up on adverts? I assume not! Nice little story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

First and most obvious question (excuse me while I regress to being 16 again), but how does your girlfriend / wife about the loss of girth:D

And for the day that's in it (Tuesday) - this guy's blog does a 'Speedy Tuesday' thing

http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday/

I'd say your story, with a few photos of the watch wouldn't look out of place there.

.....and that's the reason I got a Speedy because it was the moon watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

893bet wrote: »
    How long for you to realise it was the reduced?

And is that your reduced speedy that just went up on adverts? I assume not! Nice little story!

It was a couple of weeks afterward.......and no, I'm not selling it !

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

Jawgap wrote: »
    First and most obvious question (excuse me while I regress to being 16 again), but how does your girlfriend / wife about the loss of girth:D

And for the day that's in it (Tuesday) - this guy's blog does a 'Speedy Tuesday' thing

http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday/

I'd say your story, with a few photos of the watch wouldn't look out of place there.

.....and that's the reason I got a Speedy because it was the moon watch!

She's resigned to the lack of girth, she's had plenty of time to become accustomed at this stage.........

• Advertisement

Etc wrote: »
    It was a couple of weeks afterward.......and no, I'm not selling it !

I was 50 euros away from buying one this morning on adverts!!

Show us some pics!

I was 50 euros away from buying one this morning on adverts!!

Show us some pics!

Viewing one tomorrow!

Sorted i think!

Sizewise it's very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Sorted i think!

Sizewise it's very nice!

Photos!

:)

Photos!

:)

To follow! Just collected! Nearly pulled out as I wasn't sure of provenance. Hadn't my research done right so needed a second viewing.

• Advertisement

It's growing on me! Not the biggest fan of the bracelet if I am honest!

343618.jpg

The watch and the bracelet are lovely IMHO, it's the clasp that sucks. Not enough micro adjustments and no glide lock or easy link type device. I got a half link for mine to get the perfect fit but my hand nearly fell off recently due to lack of blood after a long day of flights Etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea, I for one am liking that. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

is that the reduced model?

am very tempted myself (but the 42mm version)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pottering

Very nice watch and one that has always featured on my 'wish list'.

The watch and the bracelet are lovely IMHO, it's the clasp that sucks. Not enough micro adjustments and no glide lock or easy link type device. I got a half link for mine to get the perfect fit but my hand nearly fell off recently due to lack of blood after a long day of flights Etc.

I find the bracelet a little light and cheap if I am honest. A bit plastic like. Problem is my reference point is the 42mm PO which has a monster bracelet (that I now find unwearable after having the watch on leather for a few months and now on rubber, a little ironic that I am comparing this too light but don't want to wear a heavy one lol).

is that the reduced model?

am very tempted myself (but the 42mm version)

Yes. I am finding smaller watches more to my taste these days. Even tho the speedie pro is not really big at 42. I think 38-40 is my sweet point.

Pottering wrote: »
    Very nice watch and one that has always featured on my 'wish list'.

Give it a week. This man has a sickness.

(I bought this as a fast flip to be honest, but I think it might end up staying).

@893bet a speedy is for life not just for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Yes. I am finding smaller watches more to my taste these days. Even tho the speedie pro is not really big at 42. I think 38-40 is my sweet point.
    Reckon you're spot on - this passion for big lumps of watches on (largely) weedy wrists gets on my tits - small is beautiful! Love those small speedy's.
    I've been looking for ages for a black dial, leather strap 38mm (or thereabouts) daily wearer for ages, there's precious few about...

• Advertisement
Advertisement