Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats returning

Options
  • 24-03-2015 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Every year I find little black droppings on the front wall of the house. I used to think it was mice/rats but poison put down was never touched. Also, the droppings were always high on the wall with no visible droppings anywhere else except on my car. I checked the internet and discovered the difference between mouse and bat droppings and so I now believe I had bats in the roof of my porch. They seem to return every year, and make a mess of the wall which I am going to get painted in a few weeks. I am wondering is there anything I can spray on the wall to stop them from returning? I'd like to persuade them to try somewhere else this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing you can spray. You could do something about the access to the roof space but as this is a nature forum I would suggest erecting bat boxes.
    None if this may stop local bats leaving droppings on a wall. Their droppings are dry and shouldn't ruin a wall like bird droppings do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

No they don't affect the wall except they are there pretty high up which means I need a ladder to get up to sweep them off. They haven't always been coming which makes me wonder why do they decide on a particular building to live during summer, and where do they go in the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    ...I now believe I had bats in the roof of my porch. They seem to return every year, and make a mess of the wall which I am going to get painted in a few weeks. I am wondering is there anything I can spray on the wall to stop them from returning? I'd like to persuade them to try somewhere else this year.

I don't mean to be smart, but a lot of people would feel privileged to have bats roosting outside their home. They're not going to bring disease or any other negative things like rats or mice, and they could add a fascinating extra dimension to your life and to that of your family, in a similar way to wild birds, for example.

In any case, the best thing to do is to contact Bat Conservation Ireland:

http://www.batconservationireland.org/

They'll advise you on what to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, most people who would contribute on this forum and would have any sort of knowledge about bats would be happy to have them there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    No they don't affect the wall except they are there pretty high up which means I need a ladder to get up to sweep them off. They haven't always been coming which makes me wonder why do they decide on a particular building to live during summer, and where do they go in the winter?

In winter they'll be hibernating. Your best bet is to contact http://www.batconservationireland.org/ as posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you all. I do understand the preservation of bats is important and I was honestly more relieved that it might be bats rather than mice/rats, so I don't really mind them as much. But I'd rather they were living with ye than me due to the droppings on the wall, but that's more a housewifely housekeeping problem of mine, and I would prefer if they don't get into the house at any stage.

Advertisement