Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea temperature // Trisuits

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hiho..

Am looking at buying a tri-wetsuit, specifically a 'cheap-as-possible' entry level suit (Orca TRN thermo wetsuit - it is 2-4mm - if you have any info on if this is a good purchase or not that would be appreciated to - found online @129 euro). I am wondering how long I can expect to stay in the water at current Irish sea temperatures. I have been out surfing recently in a nice winter 5-6 mm wetsuit and of course that seems toasty and can happily stay in 1hr+ but have no experience with these tri-wetsuits.

No info is given on what sea temperatures it is suited for.. I'm used to swimming in the sea in the summer with no suit for 45~ mins at a time (once the sea hits 15-16+ ofc!).

Where I hope to swim (seapoint, dun laoghaire) is currently 8.3 deg.

Are people starting to swim in the sea yet? I took a quick dip suitless over the weekend and the water is still pretty frigid just wondering how much difference this suit will make to time I can spend in water. I can't afford a gym membership and would like to start swimming as early as possible as have gotten v badly out of shape over the winter period..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I suspect there isnt an definitive answer to your question because your ability to handle cold is a function of how acclimatised you are to it and also how much of your own blubber you have, amongst other things. A wetsuit will delay the the cold getting to you and will help with the initial cold shock.
    Check out Loneswimmer.com for lots of articles on cold water, I cant post a link but he has an article on Cold Water Acclimatisation that will help. As he says "You get colder quicker in water, but the rate of change is dependent on a range of factors." One of the factors you are looking to introduce is a wetsuit but it doesnt cancel the other factors.

So I would say get the wetsuit (a good fitting swim wetsuit and maybe try and hire one to see?) you will certainly be able to swim longer than without it. Wear two hats and swim back and forth near your exit so you can get out quickly if needs be. You can continue to use the suit all year because even at its warmest the Irish seas are still cold enough to affect you eventually.

I have been in maybe 4 or 5 times this year (suitless) and on Sunday lasted 3 minutes. I have swum more in the previous couple of winters but this year decided I wanted to avoid 'After Drop' (see Loneswimmer) so I am not trying to be a hero. There were maybe 30 people swimming at the same time on Sunday and they lasted from 1 minute to over 30 (a seasoned icemiler). The reasons for the differences is that 'range of factors'.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

hey thanks I have read loneswimmer's blog over the years some great articles in there he's some man for the open water!

What I mean is assuming all the other factors you mention there remain constant, how big a difference does a 2-4mm tri-wetsuit make. I know how big a difference a 5/6mm surfing wetsuit can make but i have no experience with tri suits, which are a slightly different design and less material in key places.

Yeah deffo going to go ahead and buy the suit regardless, even if I still struggle with it on at current temperatures as the water heats up over the next few months ill definitely get more time in the water overall progressing towards the (hopefully) 'hot bath' waters of the summer if the weather is nice again this year

Advertisement