Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone any experience with bad teeth and gums to healthy good teeth?

Options
  • 23-03-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Basically, I am 19. I always brush my teeth twice a day but growing up I used to grind them and developed an overbite. I drank A LOT of coke and recently gave up 2 months ago. My teeth are crooked, and 2 of them cracked off but are near the back. I should have had braces, was put on a waiting list but never called for them and can't afford them currently. Lately my gums are feeling a big achy/itchy and I now have this fear of losing my teeth. They aren't the worst ever but aren't exactly the best, mainly crooked. What I want to know is, will going to get a deep clean, braces ect, cure my crooked teeth, and put me on a right track for keeping my gums A1 or is it gone beyond that and I'd be better off saving like 50k and getting implants? I could probably do with a few crowns and my 2 front teeth are a bit big so I wouldn't mind getting them replaced, teeth straightened and bite corrected. Sound do-able?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Braces can be placed on adults of any age. The most important immediate concern would be to get your teeth& gums healthy first. Book an appointment with a general dentist for a checkup& xrays, they can do a full assessment& give you a list of what's needed (treatment of decay, chips, wear, gum disease ect) & also discuss what's wanted (cosmetic work, pros cons, ect).
    A cleaning can range from 15-60minutes,& you may require 1 or multiple visits, so best wait until after the examination to properly arrange the time.
    You could also arrange a consultation with an orthodontist so you have a clear idea of what to budget for.
    Ideally try to keep your own natural teeth as long as possible, think long term back-up option, at 19 years of age there's about another 70 years of dental function ahead of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

Dianthus wrote: »
    Braces can be placed on adults of any age. The most important immediate concern would be to get your teeth& gums healthy first. Book an appointment with a general dentist for a checkup& xrays, they can do a full assessment& give you a list of what's needed (treatment of decay, chips, wear, gum disease ect) & also discuss what's wanted (cosmetic work, pros cons, ect).
    A cleaning can range from 15-60minutes,& you may require 1 or multiple visits, so best wait until after the examination to properly arrange the time.
    You could also arrange a consultation with an orthodontist so you have a clear idea of what to budget for.
    Ideally try to keep your own natural teeth as long as possible, think long term back-up option, at 19 years of age there's about another 70 years of dental function ahead of you!

Thanks for the reply, I've not got a great deal of cash atm, have a medical card though but I think it will cover one examination :(

Advertisement