Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical for Work

Options
  • 23-03-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So I'm after getting myself a new job and I start next Monday. Excellent, Delighted with life.

One issue:

Reading through the welcome email they state I'll have to do a medical during my first week.

Over that past couple of weeks and this weekend I have been out smoking with friends quite a number of times and reading online it stays in your system for close to a month?

Am I screwed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What were you smoking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What were you smoking?

He said With Friends. Maybe it's a new brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Do not think they will be looking for any drugs in a basic company medical. Could be wrong. Just that your fit and healthy. No serious illness that could have you out on leave and with benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GettnHealthy

Marijuana.

Stupid decision now looking back on it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Drink plenty of water, it dilutes the test. Some tests do look out for too much water but you can just say you drink a lot of water and the test will be put off for another while.

Don't over do it on the water. Most people that reportedly died from ecstasy actually died from water poisoning. Anything more than 2-3 litres in a day is very dangerous.

The other thing you can do is go down to your health store and buy some hemp seeds. they're great for your health and can maybe provide an excuse for any THC in your system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Do not think they will be looking for any drugs in a basic company medical. Could be wrong. Just that your fit and healthy. No serious illness that could have you out on leave and with benefits.

Is it even a fire able offence outside the police for example or pilot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Marijuana.

Stupid decision now looking back on it

Should be alright, unless they take a hair sample.

Better get the whole lot waxed off to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

snubbleste wrote: »
    He said With Friends. Maybe it's a new brand?

Oscar Wilde is back from the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Just go in drunk out of your skull. They won't care about what you smoked weeks ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

So I'm after getting myself a new job and I start next Monday. Excellent, Delighted with life.

One issue:

Reading through the welcome email they state I'll have to do a medical during my first week.

Over that past couple of weeks and this weekend I have been out smoking with friends quite a number of times and reading online it stays in your system for close to a month?

Am I screwed?

there was a thread on this exact subject a while back. the guy was worried because he had smoked some ****. he passed with flying colours if i remember

• Advertisement

See this is part of my course for college, Im in second year and need to do at least 12 weeks with this company so I can get into third year?

If it shows up in my bloods or urine I lose the job byut also have to go back repeat the year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

buy p1ss off your friend, em mam - don't forget to heat it in the microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

Drink Green Tea or hot water with lemon over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Untrue. The last two medicals I had I had to piss in a cup for the exact reason of testing for illegal drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

A medical is mostly just to document a baseline of your health should anything come up in the future that they could be liable for. Just do the test, unless there's a serious jobsworth looking at your application or something that would impede you doing the role they won't care for the most-part.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Medicals can vary

Ive had a few

1 was bascailly some doctor grabbing my balls and telling me cough (well i hope he was a doctor)

Another one i had was alot more. It went on for well over an hour where my back was checked, piss taken, heart rate..all that jazz. And i was not given the contract until it was given the all clear by the doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Specialun wrote: »
    1 was bascailly some doctor grabbing my balls and telling me cough (well i hope he was a doctor)
    I've been ordered by the court to inform you I'm not actually a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I wonder what a doctor can actually disclose to the employer under such a medical. Company ordered or not there is still such a thing as doctor patient confidentiality. Did you sign something with regards to that?

I seriously doubt they are looking for drugs anyway. Why not just ask what the medical is all about? Ask the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Tell them you went for a weekend in Amsterdam. You weren't doing anything illegal.

out of curiosity if you were on anti depressents, anti anxiety or anti psychotics would those show up in the urine test and would you be denied the job because of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Tell them you went for a weekend in Amsterdam. You weren't doing anything illegal.

You tell them nothing. Its none of their business. Go to the medical. Ask casually what thats all about since its the first time a company asked for medical. You will never hear anything about it.

Alternatively you could use google instead of asking After Hours. A quick search pops up this: http://www.irishjobs.ie/careeradvice/what-does-a-pre-employment-medical-involve/

Boskowski wrote: »
    I wonder what a doctor can actually disclose to the employer under such a medical. Company ordered or not there is still such a thing as doctor patient confidentiality. Did you sign something with regards to that?

I seriously doubt they are looking for drugs anyway. Why not just ask what the medical is all about? Ask the doctor.

It's in the contract that they can send you for a medical with the company doctor at any time they choose.

I will, im going to ring in the morning to see what the doc has to say about it.
    AgileMyth wrote: »

Thats a very good point, for all they know I could be gone there for this week on a holiday.

Tbh when I first saw the email I kind of panicked but now that I think about it the only thing the company are going to be checking for is a medical history to make sure I dont have any illnesses or high blood pressure, etc

It's in the contract that they can send you for a medical with the company doctor at any time they choose.

I will, im going to ring in the morning to see what the doc has to say about it.

Thats a very good point, for all they know I could be gone there for this week on a holiday.

Tbh when I first saw the email I kind of panicked but now that I think about it the only thing the company are going to be checking for is a medical history to make sure I dont have any illnesses or high blood pressure, etc

thats why i asked earlier. i think its to see have you any medication in your system that would indicate a serious illness. but what defines serious?

if you had diabetes or schizophrenia?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Untrue. The last two medicals I had I had to piss in a cup for the exact reason of testing for illegal drugs.

Unless it's for the pdf, rdf, I'd be doubtful. I've done many medical tests for various jobs, Never a search for drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm maybe there's a proctology exam on the cards as well :)

Advertisement