Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in care

Options
  • 23-03-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Just wanted to get a little discussion going on this, what are the pros and cons etc. Is anyone on here in residential care or has been in the past? Would like to get some views and opinions on the topic. Do you think it is a good place for a child to grow up? Do you know of any success stories from kids being in care? I myself think about it a lot, don't know why. Mods please move this thread to a more appropriate forum if needs be as I would like serious answers and couldn't think of the appropriate forum, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

nerobert wrote: »
    I myself think about it a lot, don't know why.

Could it be homework-related?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Could it be homework-related?

No, just was always interested in the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

nerobert wrote: »
    Just wanted to get a little discussion going on this, what are the pros and cons etc. Is anyone on here in residential care or has been in the past? Would like to get some views and opinions on the topic. Do you think it is a good place for a child to grow up? Do you know of any success stories from kids being in care? I myself think about it a lot, don't know why. Mods please move this thread to a more appropriate forum if needs be as I would like serious answers and couldn't think of the appropriate forum, thanks.

There's not really much of a discussion to be had if that's your starting point OP. I myself think about it a lot too, I know why, but I'm not fond of what feels like a question and answer session with someone who left it to the last minute to submit their thesis on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

I can assure you it's not going to be a question and answer session, I was just looking for discussion on a topic which I feel dkesnt get enough coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

better off moving this OP they wont play nice in here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I grew up in care, best thing to ever happen to me.

I know of other kids in care who didn't get so lucky, not exactly sure what there is to discuss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I've worked in a variety of residential care facilities over the years. If a kid is taken into care, ideally they would go into foster care but the older they are, the less likely they are to get into a foster placement. Foster carers are thin on the ground too. Usually children with higher needs would go into a residential setting, but it isn't ideal. Staffed units are not a natural environment and kids can become institutionalised quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its never going to be as good as growing up with a family who love you and take care of all your needs but its a darn sight better than being left with a family who are neglectful and violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

oh this is right up my street!
    I was in foster care for 8 years (from 8-16 years old) and then to a residential care in Wicklow for 2 years (16-18years old)... It was my life saver!
    I can't go into detail publicly, but I wouldn't have a good quality of life if I'd stayed in foster care.
    I was very restricted in care and wasn't a good setting for me personally, and residential care was my key to responsibility and independence.
    But it doesn't suit everyone!

would you like to have different people coming and going for 24 hours at a time? alarms on your bedroom door, notes taken on what you were wearing etc (in case of a person going missing,etc).
    Due to another person's behaviour, having the gardai and ambulances at the house more than once a week, sometimes actual live-in doctors and security for others safety.
    everything locked up (scissors, knives, wires (in case of strangulation), electrical equipment, pens, etc).
    it is a little bit of invasion of privacy, and you can lose trust in people.

some places aren't as nuts as it sounds, but it becomes the norm quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I grew up in care, best thing to ever happen to me.

I know of other kids in care who didn't get so luck, not exactly sure what there isn't discuss!

This for me as well. Was in a very stable place with most of us there till we were 18 so was probably more relaxed than other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

When you remove a child from their family, no matter how horrible that family are, you take away a huge part of that child's identity and who they are. Obviously a child should be removed if they are seriously being mistreated, but a child identifies with their mother or father, and placing them in a new environment can do damage to them in the long term.

Also, when a child turns 18 the state no longer holds an obligation to care for them. Some foster families agree to keep the child on if they've established a good relationship but sadly, for a lot of young people they are tossed out onto the street. Some have aftercare workers who will help to set them up for independent living but this isn't mandatory or provided by the state as it should be. Statistics show 2/3rds of young people leaving care end up homeless.

So while I think it is in some cases absolutely necessary to place a child into care, I also think there is a lot to consider.

Advertisement