Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replicating the drum effect from an old 50's record

Options
  • 23-03-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one here. I'm trying to re-create the drum sound from an old Buddy Holly record. It's for a home project I'm working on.

It's this song (Peggy Sue):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPXuZ355780

I read up about it - apparently the engineer used a switch that alternated between two mics (one inside the studio, one in the hall outside). Every 4 bars, he flicked the switch that alternated between the two mics. That's what gives it the great driving sound - almost like 2 drummers alternating.

Any ideas how I can re-create this effect in a digital CAW (Pro Tools)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Doesn't matter what you do in pro tools if you're not working with 50s drum heads. All the EQing and sound staging in the world can't replicate that, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

When i bought Kontakt 5, it came with a drum sampler instrument called Abbey Road. It is quite good for vintage drum kit sounds and has a (fully automatable) blend knob that mixes direct and room sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

To clarify - I'm talking specifically about the echo effect on the snare (it's played with the snare wires off). I've already recorded the drums myself and I'm very happy with the drum sound (I play vDrums triggering Superior Drummer... the Toontrack Custom & Vintage samples are perfect for this kind of thing).

My question relates to the on/off echo effect on the snare. How can I do this in a DAW? I'm thinking I'll have to set up two different reverb buses for the snare, then automate the sends so that it alternates between each buss every 4 bars. It'll take a bit of time to get it right that way, so I was wondering if there's another approach I haven't thought of?

Advertisement