Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I need advice on moving to the Netherlands!

Options
  • 23-03-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey guys!

I'm new here, so I apoligise in advance if I make any mistakes I make. Anyway, i'll get to the point.

A year ago, I met the love of my life. But the thing is, she lives in the Netherlands, and I live here in Ireland. I Skype her everyday for hours, from the second I finish work till I go to bed. Every month I would travel once or twice to visit her, and we have an amazing time. However, recently we have been discussing that I would move over and we could get a place together. I thought that this was amazing, and that we should go ahead with it. But its not that simple.. I have a great job at the moment, which I am very lucky to have. And I'm currently living with my parents, and I have never moved out before, let alone to another country. So it's kinda scary for me.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice on what I need to do in order to be able to work/live there. I plan on leaving on February 2016, so I have some time to sort stuff out, as well as save up some emergency money. I've been studying the Dutch language for about a month now, and hopefully I should know enough by the time I move.

Do I need a visa to live/work there? When is a good time to start applying for jobs? Bank accounts?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

You need to register with the authorities to get a burgerservicenumber BSN. This isn't hard and it will be required for nearly everything else you need to do. If I remember they give you a sticker for a page in your passport. You also need to register with the local authority Gemeente. This is also easy.

Getting a bank account is no problem. They use less cash in NL, so having a card with a chipnik function is useful. I would get an OV card for public transport as it is convenient and can be cheaper if you pay for the version that allows you to use discounted fares. if you Buying health insurance is a legal requirement in NL and you can be fined for not having it.

Marktplaats is a useful website for almost anything, buying a bike, finding an apartment and so on.

Don't worry about the language. For almost anything you need to do English will be fine. It's better for work and social integration to have Dutch, but you can get by without it handily enough for the first while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LudoFrancis

Thank you for the information, much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

No problem. I think there's a thread on boards about people living in the Netherlands or at least abroad with plenty of people currently over there posting. That would be a good place to ask further/specific questions.

Don't be too nervous about going. It's a nice place all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

However, recently we have been discussing that I would move over and we could get a place together. I thought that this was amazing, and that we should go ahead with it. But its not that simple.. I have a great job at the moment, which I am very lucky to have. And I'm currently living with my parents, and I have never moved out before, let alone to another country. So it's kinda scary for me.

Hi OP,

I would recommend you find a job before you move over and also before you hand in your notice at your current job. You'll be in a much stronger position.

Theres a fairly good guide here:
    http://www.easyexpat.com/en/guides/netherlands/amsterdam.htm

Also apply for the 30% ruling if you do make the decision.

http://www.expatax.nl/30ruling.php

Dunno, my feeling is you are letting your heart rule your head a little too much, perhaps have a think about if you want to move away from home to move or are you only moving somewhere to be with someone else :)

I would recommend you find a job before you move over and also before you hand in your notice at your current job. You'll be in a much stronger position.

I've decided that I will not move until I have a guaranteed job, however I'm assuming it will be quite hard to obtain a job over there.

I'm hoping to live in the Noord-Brabant region, specifically Sint-Michielsgestel, Vught or Den Bosch. Or anywhere close to these places. I don't mind. But I'm guessing that most English jobs would be Amsterdam based, although I am learning Dutch at the moment, I feel my skills won't be strong enough at the time to obtain your average job over there.

Any advice on applying for jobs abroad?
    Dunno, my feeling is you are letting your heart rule your head a little too much, perhaps have a think about if you want to move away from home to move or are you only moving somewhere to be with someone else :)

It's both tbh. I've been over there many times, and I really love it! Its definitely somewhere I want to live! Especially with my girlfriend!

Thanks for the help btw, it's greatly appreciated! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I've decided that I will not move until I have a guaranteed job, however I'm assuming it will be quite hard to obtain a job over there.

I'm hoping to live in the Noord-Brabant region, specifically Sint-Michielsgestel, Vught or Den Bosch. Or anywhere close to these places. I don't mind. But I'm guessing that most English jobs would be Amsterdam based, although I am learning Dutch at the moment, I feel my skills won't be strong enough at the time to obtain your average job over there.

Any advice on applying for jobs abroad?

It's both tbh. I've been over there many times, and I really love it! Its definitely somewhere I want to live! Especially with my girlfriend!

Thanks for the help btw, it's greatly appreciated! :)

What are you looking for a job in? Eindhoven has a lot of English speaking jobs. Engineering is the easiest if you are English speaking but there are other opportunities. It is also located close enough to the areas you mentioned.

What are you looking for a job in? Eindhoven has a lot of English speaking jobs. Engineering is the easiest if you are English speaking but there are other opportunities. It is also located close enough to the areas you mentioned.

I'm only experienced in sales((Office job) processing orders via phone and email and customer services.), and retail. I only turned 20 so I don't have much experience. So I really don't mind what job it is, just something close if possible.

Eindhoven is only a 30 minute commute, I wouldn't mind working there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm only experienced in sales((Office job) processing orders via phone and email and customer services.), and retail. I only turned 20 so I don't have much experience. So I really don't mind what job it is, just something close if possible.

I'll be honest and say it will be very tough to get something before you have moved here. There is no incentive for a company to hire you while you are still living abroad compared to someone already living here.

Could you take a holiday from work and spend 2 - 3 weeks here looking for a job. I have heard of some positions that are entirely English speaking like what you are looking for.

Eindhoven is about 25 minutes commute from Den Bosch. However the position you would be looking for would be on the outskirts. So your commute could be an hour each way every day depending on connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

It's great that you're learning Dutch because although it's not necessary it does help hugely. It will open doors in a career and integrating which would remain firmly shut should you not have any knowledge of it, which will ultimately mean less stress in your relationship.

However, since you are not technically thinking of moving tomorrow, I would also advise getting some more training and a qualification in the area you're currently working in. Look at the job sites such as Monster, Undutchables, Unique Multilingual Services. See what qualifications are currently being looked for and where they are. Make a LinkedIn profile. Look at the map to see how feasible commuting is, however I echo the sentiments of those who say try and secure a job before you get there. Also, from personal experience I would advise to live near or in the place you're going to work in so that you have time after work to meet new people. The real key to being happy with emigration is to have a good social circle. Good luck!!

It's great that you're learning Dutch because although it's not necessary it does help hugely. It will open doors in a career and integrating which would remain firmly shut should you not have any knowledge of it, which will ultimately mean less stress in your relationship.

However, since you are not technically thinking of moving tomorrow, I would also advise getting some more training and a qualification in the area you're currently working in. Look at the job sites such as Monster, Undutchables, Unique Multilingual Services. See what qualifications are currently being looked for and where they are. Make a LinkedIn profile. Look at the map to see how feasible commuting is, however I echo the sentiments of those who say try and secure a job before you get there. Also, from personal experience I would advise to live near or in the place you're going to work in so that you have time after work to meet new people. The real key to being happy with emigration is to have a good social circle. Good luck!!

Thanks!

I'm going to do some night courses for IT, Computer Maintenance & Networking. Even though I already know the majority of these courses, It will be nice to have the qualifications to be able to apply for better jobs.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with Linked In, is it something I would use to find a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Thanks!

I'm going to do some night courses for IT, Computer Maintenance & Networking. Even though I already know the majority of these courses, It will be nice to have the qualifications to be able to apply for better jobs.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with Linked In, is it something I would use to find a job?

Excellent! Sounds like you're really doing your homework :). Basically it's an online CV, but recruiters use it a lot and you can use it to network with contacts in the place and industry you work in that may carry some clout when searching for a new job. Dutchies love social media, basically anything that's new and shiny. A link to my LinkedIn profile is on my CV, you see it a lot. Your colleagues and managers and other people you've had contact with on a professional basis can also leave a recommendation for you. Which can be a blessing or a curse, in my case when I discovered that a senior manager (Irish, actually) in a company that I worked in didn't know how to spell the word "strengths". I didn't think it was a particularly difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Best of luck to you OP! I was essentially in your situation for 2.5 years. Skyping every available moment. Long distance relationship sucks but if you're meant to be.. stick with it. I finished college last May, and in January of this year I had the opportunity to move over to NL. I started a full time job this week, no Dutch required. Applied at the gemeente kantoor on Monday evening for my BSN, which I should get soon. Word of advice: they need to see your birth cert (well, I need to show mine at least). Then I can get myself a bank account, a car and everything else.

Everything has worked out for us, so I hope it does for you too! :)

pajor wrote: »
    Best of luck to you OP! I was essentially in your situation for 2.5 years. Skyping every available moment. Long distance relationship sucks but if you're meant to be.. stick with it. I finished college last May, and in January of this year I had the opportunity to move over to NL. I started a full time job this week, no Dutch required. Applied at the gemeente kantoor on Monday evening for my BSN, which I should get soon. Word of advice: they need to see your birth cert (well, I need to show mine at least). Then I can get myself a bank account, a car and everything else.

Everything has worked out for us, so I hope it does for you too! :)

After hearing that from you, it makes me feel a lot more confident in the move. I can't wait till the day!

Thanks! :D

Advertisement