Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy

Options
  • 23-03-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I was in an old building two weeks ago, and was amazed at some small pieces of artwork I saw. It was thick pieces of ivy, (less that 25mm or 1 inck thick) which were cut from a tree or wall, and then sanded down, and varnished or painted a dull color. they were each placed on a small flat wooden base of proportional size to the ivy piece. (like a trophy base)

has anyone ever made some of these, and how would a novice like me go about making it?

I would imagine the first part would be to go and cut a chunk of ivy, and bring it in and find a part with a nice shape and cut it out, bearing in mind how its going to sit on the base. then give it a rub with sandpaper to smooth it out. Next I would drill the base and the ivy, and insert a dowel in the ivy.
    then I would perhaps paint it with a color, and top off with a coat or two of clear varnish, and then glue the dowel to the base?

thanks
    H2FF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ya that's the way i would go about it you will find plenty of in the woods and nobody will say anything to you for cutting it as it strangles the tree. Cut close to base and then what ever you want. O you might be as well to leave it for a few months to season/dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Thanks Peter.
    what sort of paint would be suitable? just general wood paint? I have the varnish& the hacksaw

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

A ya that should be fine as long as the ivy is seasoned if you put the varnish on unseasoned wood it will peel. You might be under pressure with the hacksaw a small cheep bowsaw or one of them pruning saws would make life a lot easier. And don't dry the ivy out beside the fire it will dry to quick and could have loads of stress cracks, and maybe you could try some beside the fire and if it cracks sure what about might look good.

Advertisement