Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good qality oak doors and new architraves

Options
  • 22-03-2015 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I moved into my house about 5 years ago. The house was built in the 1950's and had old wallpaper in every room so I decided that I would strip the wall paper and paint every room, but when I started to strip the wallpaper there was about 4 layers underneath and to really get down to all the layers I used a steamer which took the plaster off the wall. It turned into a very labour intensive exercise so I decided to plasterboard over the wallpaper, plaster the walls and then paint the walls. All this was done with no problems except that the architraves on the doors are flush with the walls, meaning the skirting board extends beyond the architraves.
    The architraves and doors are quite beaten up so I'd like to get new doors and architraves but have looked online and in bricks and mortar stores but haven't found anything I really like. Can anyone point me in the right direction for good quality doors and architraves (supply and fit)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

From what you describe in your post you will also have to widen the door frame so it's flush with the plaster board for the new architrave to fit correctly, the new architrave will also have to be wider than the existing to cover the plaster board, is there a particular style of door you want .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

From what you describe in your post you will also have to widen the door frame so it's flush with the plaster board for the new architrave to fit correctly, the new architrave will also have to be wider than the existing to cover the plaster board, is there a particular style of door you want .

I could put mdf or plaster board behind the new architraves when they are being fitted. That way the plaster board on the walls would be even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I could put mdf or plaster board behind the new architraves when they are being fitted. That way the plaster board on the walls would be even?
    Simple answer is no. It turns out a mess. Replace the frames or else at least run a solid slip onto the frame before you put on the arc.

Advertisement