Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW I8 reviewed on 5th Gear.

Options
  • 22-03-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

I was surprised to hear the amazing looking car had a Mini engine driving the rear wheels, and electric the front, with an electric range of just 70 miles. All for just 100 K pounds.

Comments

reboot wrote: »
    I was surprised to hear the amazing looking car had a Mini engine driving the rear wheels, and electric the front, with an electric range of just 70 miles. All for just 100 K pounds.

No, the electric range from the 7 Kwh battery is about 15 miles according to the EPA which is far more realistic than some Lab test.

I don't think even BMW quote the I8 as having 70 miles EV range.

But it's certainly no match for the top spec model S !!! Shame on BMW !!!

If I had the cash I certainly wouldn't buy the BMW !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

reboot wrote: »

More stats re 5th gear, on BMW i8,on pure electric, range is only 23miles!
    Three cylinder Mini turbo petrol engine, 228 Bhp driving the rear wheels.
    Electric "engine" driving the front wheels,129 Bhp
    Combined power 357 Bhp
    138 Mpg, more like 50 or even 25 if driven hard.
    62 Mph in 4.4 secs up to 155Mph.
    Weight ,with carbon fibre etc, 1500 kilos.
    Am I the only one that thinks these Hybrid "Super Cars', like the Tesla (2 and a half Tons), are just a bit silly, if you want high performance the hybrid combination and massive battery weight, you end up with very heavy cars.
    Maybe if we want broom b room cars we buy Ice. The comparison made at the start of Thread "Pure electric vehicles only please"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Teslas are not hybrids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Teslas are not hybrids.

exactly, pure electric

which is far better, only a fool would buy the i8 over the model S

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

The I8 great is a great looking hybrid, you can't faults it's style, pity they didn't just stick a big battery in it like a Tesla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    The I8 great is a great looking hybrid, you can't faults it's style, pity they didn't just stick a big battery in it like a Tesla

How are they getting away with some of the mpg claims. I note the mitsubishi plug in hybrid claims 140 mpg or so but best I can see, this relates to fuel usage while also drawing power from a pre charged battery, the electric power seemingly being ignored in all calculated.
    Edit - silly phone mistakes corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

mickdw wrote: »
    How are they getting away with some of the mpg claims. I note the mitsubishi plug in hybrid claims 140 mpg or so but best I can see, this relates to fuel usage while also drawing power from a pre charged battery, the electric power seemingly being ignored in all calculated.
    Edit - silly phone mistakes corrected.
    The motor industry are always making crazy claims, cars are tested in ideal conditions etc:)
    They are selling a product
    The leaf claimed 199klms, rubbish, Id say 120 Klms
    Thats why Im doubting the New Kia Soul EV has real world 100 miles, until I drive 100 miles real range in it

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    The motor industry are always making crazy claims, cars are tested in ideal conditions etc:)
    They are selling a product
    The leaf claimed 199klms, rubbish, Id say 120 Klms
    Thats why Im doubting the New Kia Soul EV has real world 100 miles, until I drive 100 miles real range in it

Tony Williams tested the Soul EV as having 100 miles at 62 mph, he had driven a total of 106 miles to turtel ! he's a regular visitor to mynissanleaf.com.

This is at a temp of 21 deg C and I don't think any climate control, here's the video + Discussion and check out the discussion over at mynissanleaf.com.

It's battery is heated for winter driving and Air cooled for Summer.

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-range-autonomy-demonstration-nets-100-miles/

it's a hell of a shame Kia Ireland blatently Refuse to import the Kia Soul EV or even advertise it. People should call up Kia Ireland and demand them to advertise it and import it !!!

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

<< cut >>

it's a hell of a shame Kia Ireland blatently Refuse to import the Kia Soul EV or even advertise it. People should call up Kia Ireland and demand them to advertise it and import it !!!

I must say Kia are probably right in their commercail logic with a small country like ROI.

Even leaf sales are barely 150,000 world wide so whats that 20 or thirty leaf cars in ROI. Leaf sales world wide seems make Nissan a loss every sale they make

Car sales to work correctly often need thousands of sales so as to supply spare parts tools repairs and the rest of back up

If Kia got ten or twenty electric car sales in ROI they might make horrendous losses.

If you want the Kia electric car find a hundred or 500 or one thousand people that will sign the dotted line they will buy the Kia electric car.
    You need to figure out the minimal sales number to make it worthwhile to import a particular car to ROI

Kia might entertain you when they see they will break even or make a profit on the number of people that signed the dotted line .

You probably would find that 100 cars is the minim to be interesting to import to ROI
    Best to go ask Kia no point to fight them figure out the numbers and tease them with new sales

Also looks like Kia employed some fuel saving gurus probably robbed BMW staff that can make the MPG on car engines get 20 to 50% more with some minor engine changes .

It seems BMW made the Rolls Royce rollers gas gusslers go from 8 MPG to 30 mpg with some minor tweaks .
    These BMW guys know their stuff it seems

These new fuel efficient petrol and diesel Kia cars will probably make electric less interesting for many car users .

Also the Kia Electric is ugly as sin only its mother could love that ugly duckling.

me i would love to have that 100 mile range KIA thing ugly and all but the credit card wont go there so its second hand small petrol for me for next few years .

Jed

If Kia Ireland want to sell the Soul EV they would advertise it but they don't advertise it because they don't want anything to do with electrics neither do the dealers.

people can't show an interest in something they don't know about.

people in Ireland are buying the Petrol/Diesel Soul, so some people actually don't think it's ugly.

Nissan are starting to make a profit on the Leaf now because the cost of the batteries has fallen since 2009. Though not as much as they should for Nissan but that's a different story.

For a lot of people the petrol diesel is the only choice they would make anyway, a lot of people will throw 10-30 quid a week in to the tank and that's affordable so IMO the greatest driver to electric is when the car companies actually stop making ICE cars and/or they become too costly to run with the future Euro regulations is likely to drive up the cost of ice cars.

Even plug in's are a lot more expensive than the Leaf/zoe for instance.

I've done 9,100 Kms since the 24th of January so I've proven that electric cars currently are a lot more capable than driving to the local school and shop, city or town driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement