Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of agricultural land in north county dublin

Options
  • 22-03-2015 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

anyone any idea what the going rate for agri land in north county dublin is.
    im interested in a 30 acre holding not too far from ashbourne.

it is guiding at 320k which is working out at 10.6k an acre...

i know there is only myself and another local farmer interested. there are no bids on it yet.

is this a fair price considering:-

it has no road frontage
    it is zoned Greenbelt with no hope of development potential
    it is in fairly bad condition, bad drainage etc

if it goes to bidding each other what would the max i should go to... i was thinking maybe 11k per acre.

any thoughts or recent experience of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The farmer's journal had an issue devoted to this sometime in the New Year (I don't remember when- though your local library will probably have back issues).

Essentially- the going rate nationally is just a little shy of 10k an acre- with land quality and location being the two big factors in determining average prices.

Agricultural land very often has irrational valuations associated with it for various reasons- not least the salient point that the average farm in Ireland is broken into 3.8 land parcels, and for purely practical reasons most farmers would like to consolidate their holdings into a fewer number of larger blocks (and the IFA have been lobbying to bring back in the tax exemption for those who trade land assets without exchanging cash).

If you have two (or more) farmers interested in a particular folio that is coming to market- how much it achieves depends entirely on how badly one farmer wants to over and above others- alongside their access to resources (aka finance) to cover to the transaction.

The ballpark figures you're mentioning at the moment- are smack bang in the middle of average prices achieved in the last 12 months. It would- in the absence of any other information- appear to me to be priced at fair market value. It could however increase significantly in price- if another party was sufficiently motivated to try to acquire the property.........

Advertisement