Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vending Machine Coffee

Options
  • 22-03-2015 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

A Supermarket in Galway has a new vending machine for Costa Coffee where a regular cup is €2.55 and €2.85 for a large.

Now in the same complex there is a Galway based coffee shop and you can get a Take Away cup there for about €2.30

That's Madness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

different prices for two different products?

It's madness Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

paconnors wrote: »
    A Supermarket in Galway has a new vending machine for Costa Coffee where a regular cup is €2.55 and €2.85 for a large.

Now in the same complex there is a Galway based coffee shop and you can get a Take Away cup there for about €2.30

That's Madness

Its called Costa Coffee for a reason..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That's Madness

2.30 is still a rip off. Thing is though, people will pay it.

First rule of economics, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's Madness

You can get machine coffee in town for €1.25, that makes the Galway based company a rip off, who knew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

That's Madness

We talking about their Knocknacarra or Athenry branch ?
    Because I saw it in Athenry today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

syklops wrote: »
    2.30 is still a rip off. Thing is though, people will pay it.

First rule of economics, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Actually its not - I have a coffee section in a store I own and we charge €2 - but its bordering on uneconomical at that.

A commercial coffee machine costs close to 6k - on lease its about €50/week

15g of coffee is average for a decent cup (nespresso is 5g), so at about €20/kg, the coffee itself is 30c

Then a decent dpouble wall cup and lid is about 8c.

milk adds about 10c on average

add in staff costs, (highest cost in food business) rent, rates, electricity etc and the cost of a cup surpasses €1 very quickly.

If you do decent volume (100+ cups a day) you'll make a profit at €2 (1.82+vat), but low volume of 30-40 cups and the figures don't add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

delahuntv wrote: »
    Actually its not - I have a coffee section in a store I own and we charge €2 - but its bordering on uneconomical at that.

A commercial coffee machine costs close to 6k - on lease its about €50/week

15g of coffee is average for a decent cup (nespresso is 5g), so at about €20/kg, the coffee itself is 30c

Then a decent dpouble wall cup and lid is about 8c.

milk adds about 10c on average

add in staff costs, (highest cost in food business) rent, rates, electricity etc and the cost of a cup surpasses €1 very quickly.

If you do decent volume (100+ cups a day) you'll make a profit at €2 (1.82+vat), but low volume of 30-40 cups and the figures don't add up.

Perhaps saying it was a ripoff was harsh, I should have said expensive. You break down the numbers nicely, and include a bugbear of mine, rates, but we are maybe getting away from the point. 2 euros for coffee is a very good price when "out and about". I used to regularly get charged 2.25 for black tea which IMO wa a rip off, but it was in insomnia the only source of tea that used filtered water near to the office. Your estimation for milk seems high though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

syklops wrote: »
    Your estimation for milk seems high though.
    over 50% of coffees here are either cappucino or latte - so assuming av 250ml of milk per milk based coffee @ 80c/litre = 20c, so average per cup overall is over 10c.

I used to think €2 was pricey enough, but now I have experience of costs, I see why most places are closer to 2.50!

Advertisement