Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine size [for learner driver]

Options
  • 21-03-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a learner driver and im looking for a car but im unsure if I need a specific engine size as I will hopefully get my full licence in the coming weeks and im also only 17 which is why I wonder If I need an engine size limit thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Due to silly insurance system in Ireland you probably need to stick to something ridiculously small for the beginning if you don't want to pay fortune.

I don't think there is any limit - you could as well buy yourself a 6 litre porsche, but insurance price would probably exceed value of the car.

So possibly starting with anything around 1.0 litre or 1.2 is reasonable idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

There's no legal limit but ultimately for insurance purposes, at your age particularly, the smaller and less powerful the engine, the better. Generally, I would say not above a 1.4L as you might not even get an insurance quote on a car with a bigger engine. Ideally though, I'd recommend a 1.0-1.2L. It'll also be easier on the pocket for tax and fuel purposes. But if you can afford to pay a few thousand in insurance, you could go for a bigger engine.

Good luck on your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

In brief - the only limit is your wallet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

When I first got my Learners Permit, I went to my local garage and bought a 2002 Toyota Corolla 1.4 (great car). Paid around €2k for it, but insurance then came back at approx €5k - so needless to say the car had to go.
    I then got insured on my parents car, so I could drive on the road & say to the insurance company that I had one years driving experience done. 1 year on and still a learner, that quote went from €5k to €3k. Still a lot to pay but it decreased an awful amount. If I had my full licence then it would be cheaper again.

Main point is, you are better off getting insured on your parents car before you buy your own. If you really need your own car then I would recommend the likes of a 1ltr Micra or a 1.25ltr Fiesta.

1 year on and still a learner, that quote went from €5k to €23k.

:eek: When I read that first I was in horror until I realised you probably mean 2,300.

• Advertisement

:eek: When I read that first I was in horror until I realised you probably mean 2,300.

Oops my bad :pac: have it fixed now to €3k! Its still a lot to be paying for insurance but I was told that the Corolla is in a different catagory to other 1.4 cars as the Toyota had a more powerful engine, apparently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

When I first got my Learners Permit, I went to my local garage and bought a 2002 Toyota Corolla 1.4 (great car). Paid around €2k for it, but insurance then came back at approx €5k - so needless to say the car had to go.

This Country makes me laugh sometimes (and cry!).

5 grand to insure a phukking Corolla????!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Jesus. wrote: »
    This Country makes me laugh sometimes (and cry!).

5 grand to insure a phukking Corolla????!!!!!

Well really its to insure what you might hit with a Corolla, but yea it is completely mad. :)

If they are going to do this stupid penalty, then you should get the money back after 2 years if you don't cause an accident.
    So it would be kind of a deposit scheme, But thats not likely to happen.

Just done another check on that Corolla again for insurance..
    As a learner just starting off, it would be €5k for the year
    A learner with one year driving experience done: €3,900
    Full licence just got but has one year driving experience done: €2,900

Basically, do not try get your own insurance on a Corolla is you are a young driver starting off! I got cheaper quotes for a Vw Passat 1.9tdi :pac:

Again, I'd recommend getting something small with a small engine (i.e. Micra with 1ltr engine)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Get on your parents insurance and don't allow the insurance companies rob you, I'm 28 and still insured under my father, it allows him to continue his private policy while I benefit from cheaper insurance. Same man bought me a 3 series BMW on my 19th Birthday no Nissan Micra for me haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Stinicker wrote:
    Get on your parents insurance and don't allow the insurance companies rob you, I'm 28 and still insured under my father, it allows him to continue his private policy while I benefit from cheaper insurance. Same man bought me a 3 series BMW on my 19th Birthday no Nissan Micra for me haha.

Well for some, no end to daddys wallet ;)

*Before I get the nose cut off me by someone, I'm only messing, that's your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Stinicker wrote: »

At 28 you should have your own policy. Stop sponging off daddy and grow up...

Staying as a named driver on your parents policy is just prolonging the agony. Eventually you'll have to get your own policy and despite your age and years of driving experience you'll have no no-claims bonus, which makes a huge difference to your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Anything under 1.4 comes in cheap enough with Britton, Liberty has gone mad with their prices lately.

Check who your parents cars and house are insured with.
    Both my parents cars, my sisters car, our house and our farm are insured with FBD and we got a great price overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Staying as a named driver on your parents policy is just prolonging the agony. Eventually you'll have to get your own policy and despite your age and years of driving experience you'll have no no-claims bonus, which makes a huge difference to your policy.
    Nowadays most insurers treat named driver experience as the same as no claims discount so this is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭pcardin

Scirpt wrote: »
    Nowadays most insurers treat named driver experience as the same as no claims discount so this is untrue.

only checked yesterday and unfortunately what you say is untrue. My wife is on my policy for past 3 years and named driver experience counts for nothing. Ireland is a very sad and depressing country for motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

pcardin wrote: »
    only checked yesterday and unfortunately what you say is untrue. My wife is on my policy for past 3 years and named driver experience counts for nothing. Ireland is a very sad and depressing country for motorists.
    Did you try Aviva? I'm pretty sure zurich and libertyinsurance count it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

You more than likely only have 3rd party. But pff 19, getting a flash car at 17 is where its at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

pcardin wrote:

Aviva took my named driver experience when I moved to my own policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There's a name for that, it's called fronting and some insurance companies frown upon it
    http://www.simplyinsure.ie/2013/07/11/what-is-fronting/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Spook_ie wrote: »
    There's a name for that, it's called fronting and some insurance companies frown upon it
    http://www.simplyinsure.ie/2013/07/11/what-is-fronting/

Funny that a thing which seems to be illegal in eyes of Irish insurers, works perfectly well abroad and is perfectly legal and often even encouraged by insurance companies.

When I got my first car at age of 19 in Poland, I insured it in both names (mine and my dad's). That way I could use his 60% NCB, as well as start building my own NCB from scratch without a need to pay high premium due to lack of NCB in my name.

Worked great for us.

Advertisement