Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Extension

Options
  • 21-03-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi - an extension at the rear was added to a house my friends house, blocks are built and the roof tiles are on, there is no plastering, flooring, windows etc done. They are interested in selling it and they need a cert of significant completion so that potential buyers can get a mortgage approved, however, it seems that the roof slope isn't deep enough, but it is up to an upstairs window and can't go any higher. Any suggestions welcome, maybe change the roof type?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like your friend had no professional input to the design.
    You need to engage an architect or engineer to have a look and either certify or offer remedial work solutions to rectify.

Usually the roof should be a minimum of 25 degrees to take the pitch and roof tiles etc.

Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can be re.roofed with a different material

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

carrots1 wrote: »
    ...cert of significant completion...

Never heard of/come across a cert like this?

Another option is that it may be easier/cheaper to knock the extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carrots1

Thanks for advice, cud I pm a photo of it. They're thinking of knocking the extension - as part of the original planning there was a porch to be built onto the front of the house - again this has got blockwork and roof done but isnt fully complete, if they were to knock the extension, what about the porch could it stay, I think it's ok, although it isn't complete.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If the porch is not complete, and was part of the original planning permission, then they have not complied with the original planning permission...the porch would need to be complete (for compliance)...or if the porch is not complete/or they want to knock it, to sell the house, they would probably need to seek retention permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 carrots1

So it looks like they would have to get retention permission, what's involved in that, do they need to get plans drawn again by an architect and is it costly and does it take a long time to seek retention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

carrots1 wrote: »
    So it looks like they would have to get retention permission, what's involved in that, do they need to get plans drawn again by an architect and is it costly and does it take a long time to seek retention.

Plans drawn.
    Newspaper ad.
    Site notice.
    Full planning application with increased fee of €102.
    Full 2 month statutory period.

Advertisement