Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio/art college

Options
  • 21-03-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am a fifth year student and I've decided that art is the root I really want to go. However, I am feeling really unsure if I am good enough i suppose, I don't feel confident in myself and what I can do at the moment. I am doing art for the leaving cert, and am doing pretty well ( except in art history 😡) I think in just art ( without the history) I am an average B-C, I've only gotten one A this year.

I think I would be interested in doing something along the line of fine art but I am also very interested in prop making. I don't have any clue about the portfolio and I was thinking for a while that i should do a Plc portfolio course.

I would really appreciate any advice or experience you have.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

PLC course is a good idea. You can solely focus on your studies for the LC. Then after 6th year, you do the PLC. You open your eyes up to the art world, see if its really for you. And if you realise then this is actually not the route you want to go, you will have the points to apply to other CAO courses for following year. I think this would be especially useful for someone that is torn between 2 courses.

Otherwise you could spend this summer preparing the portfolio. I know NCAD do a 3week summer portfolio prep course. Ask your art teacher for some guidance, preferably before summer begins so you can have a good load finished before the big LC comes down on top of you.

I was considering going the art route myself, but decided in the end not to. I have no portfolio done. I think the Prep course would have been a waste of money for me because even if I had a portfolio I still think I would have ended up choosing something non-art related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KL98

Thanks so much for the advice, it's very much appreciated!

I think a Plc might suit me as I also spend a long time on work, the longer I spend on my portfolio the better I think it will be, so a year doing it would probably be well spent.

Plus it would give me a chance to find a part-time job, and sort myself out for third level college!

I've been trying to find good portfolio prep courses near me but the good ones seem to be pretty far. Would anyone know of any Plc portfolio prep courses near Kilkenny or near South Dublin (dundrum area)?

Advertisement