Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering first choice on CAO - what are people putting next

Options
  • 21-03-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all, putting engineering down as first 4 choices on CAO - all courses need minimum of C in HL maths. Should get it but just in case I don't I'm struggling to know what to put down next - and wondering what everyone else is doing? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Hi all, putting engineering down as first 4 choices on CAO - all courses need minimum of C in HL maths. Should get it but just in case I don't I'm struggling to know what to put down next - and wondering what everyone else is doing? Thanks

Well, what else do you have an interest for? I'm the same, I have Applied Physics in UL down after my Engineering courses and then after that, Computer Systems.

Also, if Engineering is what you want to do, why not put down a Level 7? I've noticed snobbery both online and in real life in regards to Level 7 courses but it just takes longer to get that Level 8 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

No not snobbery at all. I had Physiotherapy down in Carlow IT but it just doesn't seem to fit well with me and seems so unrelated to engineering that it just doesn't seem the right choice. I suppose I hope to get around 500 points so after all that hard work would really prefer to do a Level 8 - don't think that's snobbery!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No not snobbery at all. I had Physiotherapy down in Carlow IT but it just doesn't seem to fit well with me and seems so unrelated to engineering that it just doesn't seem the right choice. I suppose I hope to get around 500 points so after all that hard work would really prefer to do a Level 8 - don't think that's snobbery!

It's not snobbery but it doesn't really make sense. If you are capable of 500 points you will be able to excel in any course you choose. Related to Engineering...sort of guessing...Quantity surveying maybe? All the different fields of Engineering (Electrical etc.)? I would have thought there's more than enough to fill a CAO if that's your field of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Looking at the CIT prospectus Common entry engineering requires a HD3 or a OA2. Mechanical engineering(level 8) and Chemical and biopharmaceutical engineering requires a HC3 but a if you do applied maths and get a HC3 in it, a HD2 in maths will be sufficient. The level 7 Mechanical engineering requires a D3 at any level. I think you can advance on to the level 8 if you get good results. Some colleges also do a mathematics examination in the summer if you didnt get the required grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

I know some of the universities offer a maths exam in August if you don't get the C as sort of a second chance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

Thanks for replies. How does the August maths exam work? Do they contact people who had enough points put not the C in maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Thanks for replies. How does the August maths exam work? Do they contact people who had enough points put not the C in maths?

Yes I think so. Here's all the information on the one in NUIG. http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering-informatics/prospectivestudents/specialentrancemathsexamination/

Advertisement