Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project Riese (Wroclaw, Poland)

Options
  • 21-03-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭

This is a long-shot because there doesn't seem to be any mention of it on all of boards but has anyone visited "Project Riese" outside of Wroclaw?

It's a series of tunnels and underground structures built by the Nazis during WW2. It looks like an interesting tour but it's a good 2.5hrs outside of Wroclaw and I'm wondering if anyone has been and would recommend.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Havn't been to it but have heard of it and would certainly put it on my list if I was going to Wroclaw and had a chance to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just for anyone who might stumble on this thread in the future, I was in touch with three tour companies who do tours to Project Riese out of Wroclaw but unfortunately found it too expensive to go.

They are all private tour companies and, as such, you have to pay the guts of 200e as a solo traveller or hope to get in on a small group that is leaving on a date you had planned. I couldn't make it work for my budget and the dates I was there.

If you were part of a group of even 4 or 5 or could find others who would be interested, it would make things much more reasonable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a further message to thread stumblers - these are the tunnels where they have allegedly found a train full of Nazi gold.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/11836331/The-hunt-for-Nazi-gold-Inside-Polands-labyrinth-of-secret-WWII-tunnels.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

spurious wrote: »
    As a further message to thread stumblers - these are the tunnels where they have allegedly found a train full of Nazi gold.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/11836331/The-hunt-for-Nazi-gold-Inside-Polands-labyrinth-of-secret-WWII-tunnels.html
    There's a lot of movement with Riese at the moment, which will hopefully make it easier and cheaper to visit. Gold train is looking unlikely but they do think there may be some arms and other items of interest. The latest confirmed find is a shelter built to hold thousands of people.

If I get back to Poland/Czech at some stage I'll definitely try to get to Riese this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

@FouxDaFaFa Did you make it back over there? I'm going in two weeks and it sounds interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement