Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing 2nd Subject for PME

Options
  • 21-03-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi - I'm hoping to do the PME with Hibernia in September. I have a degree and Masters in Business which is OK by the Teaching Council so that will be my first subject.

In relation to my second subject, I have a full degree in French (three years) but this was done via distance through the Open University so it doesn't comply with the literature requirement and also the minimum of three months spent abroad (I now have 3 children so the latter is not possible for me).

In all honesty my French is OK but certainly not great and far from fluent (I am continuing in some study of French but without ever having lived there I doubt I will ever be fluent or as proficient as I should be to teach it to senior classes).

However as a second subject in the PME the only other option open to me is CSPE.

1. If you were me, which would you choose as the second subject - French or CSPE? I'd be concerned about my level of French for the interview and also throughout the PME and the teaching practice. However, the CSPE seems to be just an add-on and from the threads here I get the impression that as a qualification, it's not really a subject that is really valued.

2. If you did French through the PME - how did you find it?

3. If anyone has had to tag literature on to get TC approval - what courses did you do (I know there are some in Maynooth University but I'm not sure how many I'd have to do if I did in the future build up my French to TC requirements level).

Any thoughts/comments/advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Business (alone) is an extremely difficult subject to get a job with, so I would recommend pursuing a second subject.
    I know that the business teachers in my school did/are doing the maths course to qualify them as maths teachers.

I would go with French a thousand times over CSPE, which is used as a timetable filler in a lot of schools. It won't hold much weight on a CV.

I can't offer any advice on how to qualify in French, but I would srongky advise doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would go further in that CSPE offers NO weight on a CV. French a million times over. Also note that you may not be registered but if you have a qualification like you say, schools will spot that

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

I've heard it's very difficult to get enough CSPE hours for teaching practice. Accounting or Economics might be possibilities, but again no work in these areas. You can teach them in JC Business Studies while on TP.

You can get your French accreditation at a later stage - it doesn't have to be part of the PDE. Maybe, you might have the chance to teach a little bit of French while on TP so that you'll have some experience in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Thanks a million for your advice and info.

Quick question - would it be better to have a higher result/grade for the PME with Business Studies & CSPE rather than to do French & Business but risk getting a lower grade?

I'd probably get a better result for the PME if I just stuck with Business Studies and then continue on afterwards to add the French on for approval by the TC? (I'd be concerned that I'd be marked down on the French if I did do this as a teaching subject).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

I wouldn't let your confidence in French be the deciding factor - an inspector will look at things like integration of ICT, your ability to reflect on your own teaching and your classroom management skills when grading you. So, if you make a mistake in French in front of them it's not the end of the world!

Obviously you want to get the best grade possible, but it's not necessarily going to be achieved in the subject area that you're most comfortable in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Thanks a million to all for your responses that really helps. I think I'll really try to brush up my French and will look at it now as a second subject. It would definitely be an advantage to have it.

If a language is a second subject, do they tend to do the PME interview through the language as well or is that only if a language is chosen as a first subject?

Advertisement