Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen - why leave expensive lock?

Options
  • 21-03-2015 9:19am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Walking through Dublin (and I've no reason to presume it's not the same elsewhere), I notice lots of expensive bicycle locks where once there were bicycles.

Now why, if your bike has been nicked, would you leave the expensive lock still attached to the bike stand?

I am kept awake by such musings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Are the frames still attached.

Could be someone who uses the same bike stand everyday and doesn't want to carry a heavy lock around with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Are the frames still attached.

Could be someone who uses the same bike stand everyday and doesn't want to carry a heavy lock around with them.

Maybe, but have a look and you'll see what I mean - seems very odd to me, that so many people will leave locks.

Never any frames, just locks lying on the ground, still attached to the stands.

A lot of people leave the locks in "their" place. It's pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

spurious wrote: »
    Maybe, but have a look and you'll see what I mean - seems very odd to me, that so many people will leave locks.

Its like a dog marking his territory. They are saying don't come near my parking spot or I'll film you on my helmet cam and make you out to be a dîck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you only lock your bike outside work then it makes sense to leave the lock there rather than lug it everywhere with you. A decent lock is heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Bastards stole the keys as well and left the locks to taunt the owner. Obvious really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's for exactly the reason EN_2013 said. if you don't want to carry your lock around and you're in the same place everyday you just lock it up.and use it when you get there. those licks are a couple of kills weight in some cases. if they were from robbed bikes they'd be cut/broken open. No great mystery or conspiracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm presuming there's no key. What good is a lock without one? Thieves usually rob shít to sell. Even if they managed to get it open and closed by other means they'd never move it on. And i doubt they'd be robbed for personal use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cyclists and their mysterious ways. I thank you.

I'm presuming there's no key. What good is a lock without one? Thieves usually rob shít to sell. Even if they managed to get it open and closed by other means they'd never move it on. And i doubt they'd be robbed for personal use.

I think the OP meant that if you arrived to find your bike gone, would you not take your lock back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I think the OP meant that if you arrived to find your bike gone, would you not take your lock back.

Missed that. Well I think he answered his own question with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What good is the lock if your bike has been stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

kneemos wrote: »

The bike hasn't been stolen. The lock is just heavy so they leave it on the rack. Probably have another lock at home or the bike is kept inside at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

As said above the lock is left attached to the bike rack. When the cyclist arrives on the bike they take the key out of their pocket, open the lock, and lock the bicycle to the bike rack.
    Nobody is going to go to a bike rack that has a lock attached and use an angle grinder to cut the lock off. Who needs a broken lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe the keys were attached to the bike so the thief opened the lock, took the bike but was obviously too much in a hurry to get away to take the lock too or maybe the owners simply leave then there for the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the bike had been stolen, then we can infer that the lock hadn't given sufficient protection. Why steal an inadequate lock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

kneemos wrote: »

Could always take it for your next bike if you buy one - or if it's expensive, flog it on gumtree, or some other local selling group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Walking through Dublin (and I've no reason to presume it's not the same elsewhere), I notice lots of expensive bicycle locks where once there were bicycles.

Now why, if your bike has been nicked, would you leave the expensive lock still attached to the bike stand?

I am kept awake by such musings.

Yep, I noticed about nine million bicycle locks, minus the bicycles when I was in Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

diomed wrote: »
    As said above the lock is left attached to the bike rack. When the cyclist arrives on the bike they take the key out of their pocket, open the lock, and lock the bicycle to the bike rack.
    Nobody is going to go to a bike rack that has a lock attached and use an angle grinder to cut the lock off. Who needs a broken lock?

I always use bike racks with locks attached. Its not as if there's a lack of room

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Surely if the bike is gone the lock has been broken?

Clearly people who don't want to carry locks home. I do the same at the train station

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Jesus will ye carry yer locks home and stop littering the place with them! and causing distress to the OP. Can't ye see he's not sleeping at night over the mess yer making!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Why are there so many bikes with vandalized bent and twisted wheels yet we never seem to see the vandals doing their handy work?

Personally I think it's just Uri Geller going around taking the piss.

Advertisement