Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help understanding/reprogramming my electric gates and new fobs

Options
  • 21-03-2015 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a new property that came with fancy double-leaf electric gates. Much wow!

Anyway, one of my key fobs is a bit dodgy, the microswitch seems to be flaky and I'd like to purchase new fobs.

I also have the issue that my neighbour also has gates and his fob opens my gates every time he goes in and out of his own gates. So I'd like to change the frequency my gates use so this no longer happens...

So here come my questions!

If I pick up a programmable key fob from Amazon or wherever, how easy is it to match these fobs to the frequency of my gate?

More importantly or at least as important, how do I change the frequency code used to open and close my gate?

The control unit appears to be a Q60A/R. I've downloaded a manual for this gate (manual downloaded from here) but it's pure gibberish to me and may as well be written in Klingon for all I can make of it.

Can anyone help me decipher this?

I know gates are the lower end of security options but I'd at least like to sort this before I start looking at alarm and camera options. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭altor

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I recently purchased a new property that came with fancy double-leaf electric gates. Much wow!

Anyway, one of my key fobs is a bit dodgy, the microswitch seems to be flaky and I'd like to purchase new fobs.

I also have the issue that my neighbour also has gates and his fob opens my gates every time he goes in and out of his own gates. So I'd like to change the frequency my gates use so this no longer happens...

So here come my questions!

If I pick up a programmable key fob from Amazon or wherever, how easy is it to match these fobs to the frequency of my gate?

More importantly or at least as important, how do I change the frequency code used to open and close my gate?

The control unit appears to be a Q60A/R. I've downloaded a manual for this gate (manual downloaded from here) but it's pure gibberish to me and may as well be written in Klingon for all I can make of it.

Can anyone help me decipher this?

I know gates are the lower end of security options but I'd at least like to sort this before I start looking at alarm and camera options. Any help appreciated.

Most of these type units are just learned in using the manual and pressing buttons till the desired code appears. Same on the fobs in use, they have a series of switches that are set to change the code before learned to a system.
    Do you know the type fob used also?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks altor, I appreciate it. I have more questions though :)

On that part of the manual there is the following options:

Storing new remote control code
    Storing new remote control code with stop function
    Storing new remote control code with pedestrian function

I know what the first one is. Is the second, when you start to open the gates and then press the button again to hold the gates in their current position?
    Is the third just opening the gates enough to allow a pedestrian through?

Secondly, we have two remote control fobs, I take it that we need to store a new code for each fob independently?
    Finally, even if we do this, we will still have to delete the codes for our neighbours fobs, right?

So are we better deleting all stored codes first and then entering new codes for our fobs?

Also, have to admit, I'm very wary of trying this out tomorrow and finding that I've done it wrong and end up locked inside my own property!!

Thanks altor, I appreciate it. I have more questions though :)

On that part of the manual there is the following options:

Storing new remote control code
    Storing new remote control code with stop function
    Storing new remote control code with pedestrian function

I know what the first one is. Is the second, when you start to open the gates and then press the button again to hold the gates in their current position?
    Is the third just opening the gates enough to allow a pedestrian through?

Secondly, we have two remote control fobs, I take it that we need to store a new code for each fob independently?
    Finally, even if we do this, we will still have to delete the codes for our neighbours fobs, right?

So are we better deleting all stored codes first and then entering new codes for our fobs?

Also, have to admit, I'm very wary of trying this out tomorrow and finding that I've done it wrong and end up locked inside my own property!!

Most of the fobs just have a learn code which means once you learn it in it preforms this functions. Have you a picture of the type fob you have used. By the sounds of it, the codes was never changed on the unit when learnt in, this is why it works on both gates.

It is straight forward once you follow the instructions in the manual. Just need to see what fob is in use tho.

Thanks again. I'll try to post pictures of the fob tomorrow. I'll also open it up so you can see the actual circuit board. It seems pretty generic, a two button fob. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. I'll try to post pictures of the fob tomorrow. I'll also open it up so you can see the actual circuit board. It seems pretty generic, a two button fob. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

No probs, that will be helpful as some have switches that change the code before enrolling. No point having the same as your neighbour :)

So attached are the photos of the fob. As you can see, it's unbranded, generic and might I add, flimsy :)

Anything more anyone can tell me about how capable this fob will be of 'learning' the newly generated code from my control unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Those are clone remotes. You'll need to buy an original proteco remote in order to get a new code as I'd say the one remote was cloned and used to program yours and your neighbours gates.

Advertisement