Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks - Wakeup Call

Options
  • 20-03-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just got the last of the mock results back and must say though I'm happy with a few, I'm gutted for the most part. DEBS btw

French - 93% - A1
    Irish - 75% - B2
    English - 65% - C1
    History - 55% - C3
    Accounting - 52% - D1
    Art - 47% - D2
    LCVP - 61%
    Maths - 31 % - E
    ( all at honours )

Came to 415 all together. Delighted with french and Irish considering not a tap of revision was done till the evening before. Was hoping for better in English, Art and History but those results were more based on uncovered material/timing

Looking to break 500 in June for Engineering in Trinity so the maths is a big scare. Really lost my nerve in the exam, lots of silly mistakes/ unanswered questions . Need a C3. Any tips or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tzashi

Are you sure engineering is the thing for you if youre failing maths? For me i can get 85-95% in maths with little to no study(Hate probability&statistics thats where i lose my marks) so i know some maths related course would be good for me, i also have an interest in the area, clear by things i do outside of school. What I am trying to say is if youre failing maths now while studying hard for your mocks like im sure you did, how do you think college maths exams will go? they sure dont get easier

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tzashi

Now if you want some actual help just pm me with areas you struggled with and i can help by give you little tricks on how to do them

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

SB22 wrote: »
    Maths - 31 % - E

Are you doing engineering because you want to, or because it's what your family wants you to do? Because you don't want to be going into it failing maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

They were a wake up call for me. I did so bad failed 3, got 2 d 1C and 1B. I had around 100 points.
    After I got my report I put my head down in school, did all my homework to a high standard and dos proper Study every night. I use to do 3 1/2 hours of proper work when I came home from school. Tenement exam papers and getting answer out of the book is studying too, if you don't know a question do a well written answer learn it and do it again the best day. Keep putting the work in and you'll get to were you want to go.
    I ended up getting 245 points and my first choice course. I went from a C3 in history to an A2

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fitzyg

all those commenting on your low maths score- i personally think its actually good considering the Debs mock was the worst paper ive ever seen. Went into the exam expecting an A or B then handed up a basically blank paper 1. It was atrocious. I just scraped a pass by doing a good paper 2.
    if engineering is what you really love and want to do, just go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can bring your points up with more work, and practice on exam papers. Now is the time to do that, see where you fell down on the papers.

However I would also be asking the question, why engineering? While you might bring that 31 up to 40+, that's at the low end of HL maths.

Also your subject choice doesn't scream engineering to me: French, History, Art, Accounting..... I don't like to stereotype students but I am surprised not to see anything there that I would remotely associate with engineering: Physics, Chemistry, DCG, Construction, Engineering, Technology. That and maths currently appears to be your weakest subject.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

fitzyg wrote: »
    all those commenting on your low maths score- i personally think its actually good considering the Debs mock was the worst paper ive ever seen. Went into the exam expecting an A or B then handed up a basically blank paper 1. It was atrocious. I just scraped a pass by doing a good paper 2.
    if engineering is what you really love and want to do, just go for it.

This.

That DEB mock was incredibly hard, you could easily add another 30% to your result and judge it by that. Some of my very bright friends struggled to pass it, let alone get an A/B!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Magnate wrote: »
    This.

That DEB mock was incredibly hard, you could easily add another 30% to your result and judge it by that. Some of my very bright friends struggled to pass it, let alone get an A/B!

Oh that maths paper was hell. I got 48 and the highest in my class was 55. There was a guy who got an A1 in his mock last year (he is repeating) he got 41 in it. Just putting things into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Oh that maths paper was hell. I got 48 and the highest in my class was 55. There was a guy who got an A1 in his mock last year (he is repeating) he got 41 in it. Just putting things into perspective.

Funny, my teacher said last year's mock was 10times harder, guess he's just lying to get us to drop lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Just got the last of the mock results back and must say though I'm happy with a few, I'm gutted for the most part. DEBS btw

French - 93% - A1
    Irish - 75% - B2
    English - 65% - C1
    History - 55% - C3
    Accounting - 52% - D1
    Art - 47% - D2
    LCVP - 61%
    Maths - 31 % - E
    ( all at honours )

Came to 415 all together. Delighted with french and Irish considering not a tap of revision was done till the evening before. Was hoping for better in English, Art and History but those results were more based on uncovered material/timing

Looking to break 500 in June for Engineering in Trinity so the maths is a big scare. Really lost my nerve in the exam, lots of silly mistakes/ unanswered questions . Need a C3. Any tips or advice?

Ensure you have some decent backup courses on your CAO form. Although if you fail Maths it probably won't matter. Be realistic about what you can achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I failed maths in the mocks and got a C2 in the real thing- just had more practice and revision time. Just because you failed it now doesn't say that you will in the real exam if you put in the work for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Kremin wrote: »
    Funny, my teacher said last year's mock was 10times harder, guess he's just lying to get us to drop lol.

I did that mock to compare with this years, got 61%.
    This year's deb was ridiculous :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SB22

Thanks for the input everyone.

Engineering was absolutely a personal choice for me, I'm one of the lucky ones who's family is completely behind what I want to do, no matter what it may be.

As far as my subjects go I do know nothing screams Engineering, in my school science was optional from 2nd year onwards. Despite my teacher's suggestions I decided not to keep it on, although I was good at it, just because other subjects required less effort . I only realised that I wanted to do engineering in october 2014.

I do really enjoy maths though I'm not by any means the strongest at it. My mark was definitely not representative of my ability and nerves played a big part in that ( something to work out by June ) . That said, the DEBS paper was disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

That maths exam was ridiculous, I got an A in my JC and I'm a hard worker but I didn't pass by all that much, in fact only 3 others in my class passed! 3/4 of those got between 40-50! 18 fails...

Keep up the hard work and use your results to spur you on, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I think working hard is the best way all day. Considering that maybe you haven't even finish the maths course yet, I bet you can do so much better than that.

Forget other people questioning your skills. Believe in yourself and stick with your passion.

Keep working hard. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

I think working hard is the best way all day. Considering that maybe you haven't even finish the maths course yet, I bet you can do so much better than that.

Forget other people questioning your skills. Believe in yourself and stick with your passion.

Keep working hard. Good luck.

At the same time, don't be naïve and take it all for granted - have a back-up plan JUST IN CASE self-belief doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Hey, did you know most universities offer a second maths exam in August if you dont the C3? So don't stress yourself too much! :)
    Best of luck in your exams!
    And also ignore what everyones saying about your subject choice, I too want to do engineering next year and don't do any of the "key" subjects for my leaving. We'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

French - 93% - A1
    Irish - 75% - B2
    English - 65% - C1
    History - 55% - C3
    Accounting - 52% - D1
    Art - 47% - D2
    LCVP - 61%
    Maths - 31 % - E
    ( all at honours )

Dont worry about the low maths grade, if you decide you want to get the c3 you need then just put in the work to get it. I was similar to you when I did my leaving, I didn't really prepare properly for my mocks, got 19% was told to drop to ordinary and I kicked off with the teacher about it. Ended up getting a c1 in the real thing, went on and did engineering in trinity and now work for a very large car company. Maths was never my strongest subject but it shouldn't be a problem for you if you're willing to put in the effort

Advertisement