Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Days.

Options
  • 20-03-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭

Today is international day of happiness.
    Who makes up and designates these days?Is there an office somewhere full of people suggesting and debating various international days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

kneemos wrote: »
    Who makes up and designates these days?Is there an office somewhere full of people suggesting and debating various international days?

Shut up , ya grumpy fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It was decided on International Bolloxology Day last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

march 14.

leave them to their work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The google decides it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'd suggest people try even 10 minutes of mindful meditation on this day of happiness. You'll feel happier having done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Wait just a second. This isn't September 28th!

I'd suggest people try even 10 minutes of mindful meditation on this day of happiness. You'll feel happier having done it.

Would nine minutes do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Jesus designated these days when he was here on earth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

3 hours on the high stool and 14 pints has the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Would nine minutes do ?

You'd only be very contented with yourself after 9 minutes, not happy though.

Go 20 minutes and you'd manically, insanely ecstatic with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OP looking to petition for a day recognising those who start more internet threads than they should?

Would nine minutes do ?

Even thirty seconds of deliberate awareness of the breath can have positive impacts. So 9 minutes is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Even thirty seconds of deliberate awareness of the breath can have positive impacts. So 9 minutes is fine.

So basically you're concentrating on breathing in and out for 10 minutes?

Do you do this through your mouth?

I'm not here to convert the sceptic. I merely suggest you try it. It brings a wonderful sense of calm and acceptance to those who at least attempt to do it for even 10 minutes.

No through your arse , thats what Aongus von B. does anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm not here to convert the sceptic. I merely suggest you try it. It brings a wonderful sense of calm and acceptance to those who at least attempt to do it for even 10 minutes.

Would you need to do it in a sauna? My expensive and tastefully decorated modern apartment doesn't yet have a sauna fitted, so I'm worried it won't be as effective as it should be.

stimpson wrote: »
    Would you need to do it in a sauna? My expensive and tastefully decorated modern apartment doesn't yet have a sauna fitted, so I'm worried it won't be as effective as it should be.

No. You can do it lying in your bed if doing a bodyscan. Sitting on a chair works for many of the practices. You can even practice mindfulness if forced to use public transport. I must say that sauna isn't the place I'd immediately think about practising meditation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No. You can do it lying in your bed if doing a bodyscan. Sitting on a chair works for many of the practices. You can even practice mindfulness if forced to use public transport. I must say that sauna isn't the place I'd immediately think about practising meditation!

Even on the 56A?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nodin wrote: »
    Even on the 56A?

56A is for practising survival skills.

kowloon wrote: »
    56A is for practising survival skills.

Pfft , 56a , you want a real Mad Max type of journey ? Try the 40 into Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

I think it's the Internnational Commission for International Days.

They meet once a year on International International Days Day and make decisions on all of the new applications for International Days for the upcoming year.

International International Days Day also being the day we celebrate the wonder of International Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Two men enter, one man leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've just tried that for 45 seconds and the only thing I've gotten out of it is the realisation that I consume too much tobacco,fish and garlic.So,even though that's quite a negative trait,I'm mindful enough to take note of it and address the problem so it won't rear its ugly head again,which is a positive thing in the long run.Bismark,your aaaaaal right.
    Op,I'm nearly sure the official title was 'unicef world happiness day' so its charities make the days up.There's your answer.But don't let facts muddy the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I've just tried that for 45 seconds and the only thing I've gotten out of it is the realisation that I consume too much tobacco,fish and garlic.So,even though that's quite a negative trait,I'm mindful enough to take note of it and address the problem so it won't rear its ugly head again,which is a positive thing in the long run.Bismark,your aaaaaal right.
    Op,I'm nearly sure the official title was 'unicef world happiness day' so its charities make the days up.There's your answer.But don't let facts muddy the waters.

It was a UN general assembly invention. I would have thought they had more important things to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

56A is what students think is a rough bus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

Happy International day of happiness. late greeting (better late than never)

anncoates wrote: »
    56A is what students think is a rough bus. :pac:

I don't know where the 56a even goes so I can't comment on that,I am very familiar with the 40 however and I can safely say that's its quite a pleasant little jaunt when you compare it to other routes such as the 220 or the infamous 77a.

I don't know where the 56a even goes so I can't comment on that,I am very familiar with the 40 however and I can safely say that's its quite a pleasant little jaunt when you compare it to other routes such as the 220 or the infamous 77a.

I have 77a previous , but I'm afraid the old 40 from Parnell street up into the West did it for me......the ex is from Finglas.
    Memorable moments include a Garda having a fist fight with two passengers one night , a bus driver abandoning another bus and a stolen car missing a bus by inches one night.

dirtyden wrote: »
    It was a UN general assembly invention. I would have thought they had more important things to be doing.
    They do,but a general assembly of the UN is the only time that every single member state is represented equally more or less,so a lot of things come up in them i imagine that doesn't make the news.But that's where these international days come from.Its not all talk of war/peacekeeping/defence,but unfortunately that's what gets the headlines.International days are basically a fundraiser for one of the UN humanitarian programs,such as Unicef and if they are helping someone somewhere then I've no issue with them.I heard some clown on the wireless describe them as 'hallmark holidays' but I can honestly say i have never in my life stood at a card stand in a newsagents and seen a greeting card with the message 'Happy international AIDS day' or somesuch emblazoned across it.The whole thing is for charity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement