Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers' Code

Options
  • 20-03-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Folks, I have been practicing karate (Shodan, 26 years), judo (Shodan, 8 years) and other arts (in smaller extend) in different countries, clubs and dojo's... I like discovering stuff. Recently I have become very annoyed by one of the teachers I have added to my my MA curriculum and I need your advice here.

Each time when he demonstrates his "unique and brilliant" application for whatever move or technique he says the following: "Unlike the other MA like karate we do it this way"... Honestly, there is nothing new in what h shows to the crowd from karate point of view. And it really gets me: he disrespects another MA and fulls his students with the wrong statements. Eventually they will learn and copy him (SU, HA, RI) and will become ignorant and arrogant. I was very close to chatting to him last class... I like the art I learn there - t gives me a slightly different angle. I do not want to leave. But I cannot stand permanent arrogance. What should I do?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Why is it annoying exactly? There are subtle differences between styles that, while a casual observation might not seem significant, are a key element that makes the styles different.
    Kyokushin for example, unlike some other Karate styles kicks with the shin instead of the foot, average Joe on the street might not notice this but it would make a huge difference and I can understand it being highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gustavatwork

Peetrik wrote: »
    Why is it annoying exactly? There are subtle differences between styles that, while a casual observation might not seem significant, are a key element that makes the styles different.
    Kyokushin for example, unlike some other Karate styles kicks with the shin instead of the foot, average Joe on the street might not notice this but it would make a huge difference and I can understand it being highlighted.

Hi Peetrik, and this is another example of ignorance (pardon for the word) on the subject. Shotokan karate-do does use shin for the kicks. Especially when it comes to the close combat situations - we do use kicks in thighs area. So, saying it to your students is misleading. It really depends on te level of the practitioner and his experience. White belts wouldn't know that. Black belts with some experience will do.

It does annoy me because I hate BS naturally. Especially when it comes to MAs.

Thank you for your input anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have to say I agree with the OP.

Unless you are experienced with another martial art leave it out of your teaching as an instructor rather than throwing out a lazy stereotype trashing an art and thinking it adds value to your lesson, its just bull**** that you are spewing.

Just my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Right well I did purposefully say "unlike some other Karate styles" I wasn't picking on Shotokan specifically.

Again I'm still not understanding why it would annoy you, some MAs prefer a sideways stance and some prefer a forward facing stance, you don't need a world title in boxing to know they stand sideways or to have fought in Lumpini to know that Thai fighters face forward.

For your coach to draw attention to that for the less experienced students to take note of stance A compared to stance B is hardly in itself 'misleading' or 'BS'.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

What should I do?

Well, you have a simple choice. Either you (i) learn to accept that he is not especially smart in his knowledge of other arts, but continue to train with him anyway to learn what you can, or (ii) you speak to him privately to explain that his knowledge of karate is incomplete, or (iii) you leave the club.

You should not challenge him in front of the class, as this will provoke the defensive reaction from him.

Honestly though, if it were me, I'd ignore his waffle and just train to gain what you can from it.

• Advertisement

SVJKarate wrote: »
    Well, you have a simple choice. Either you (i) learn to accept that he is not especially smart in his knowledge of other arts, but continue to train with him anyway to learn what you can, or (ii) you speak to him privately to explain that his knowledge of karate is incomplete, or (iii) you leave the club.

You should not challenge him in front of the class, as this will provoke the defensive reaction from him.

Honestly though, if it were me, I'd ignore his waffle and just train to gain what you can from it.

Thank you

Peetrik wrote: »
    Right well I did purposefully say "unlike some other Karate styles" I wasn't picking on Shotokan specifically.

Again I'm still not understanding why it would annoy you, some MAs prefer a sideways stance and some prefer a forward facing stance, you don't need a world title in boxing to know they stand sideways or to have fought in Lumpini to know that Thai fighters face forward.

For your coach to draw attention to that for the less experienced students to take note of stance A compared to stance B is hardly in itself 'misleading' or 'BS'.

If whatever he says was true it would not bother me at all. But he gives a ridiculous examples of other MAs. It would be the same as: "Not like any one of famous chefs I am making my sandwiches with cheese and ham".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's the MA of this instructor, and whats the so-called move that karate does wrong.

I've experienced similar, an instructor criticizing the application of another MA, when if reality it would never be used in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

If whatever he says was true it would not bother me at all. But he gives a ridiculous examples of other MAs.

I've trained with very senior Japanese karate instructors who give ridiculous examples of how kata movements should be interpreted. The issue is that for some instructors, you should view bunkai as a means of visualising what you are doing, whereas others try to explain how certain movements might be used practically. If OP's instructor only ever saw the 'visualisation' movement (which is the one most likely to be taught to lower rank students) then maybe he thinks that is what karate people do. Since 90% of students quit karate before reaching their shodan grade the reality is that very many karateka believe this too.

OP - while your instructor may be wrong in what he says, karate practitioners must acknowledge that the traditional method of teaching is such that a high percentage of people who train in karate will leave with those incomplete understandings also.

Advertisement